Long time listner, First time caller.

Fifth

Welcome Back

Now caller how may Mr. Obvious help you today? LOL

Glad you're back......

I love Bob and Tom and the Mr. Obvious show lol. I grew up on that stuff.

Thanks all for the welcomes, I've heard nothing but good things about this community and I will do what I can to help. I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to PCs, mainly on the AMD side when it comes to OCing but I plan on building an Intel build soon.

I've already listed my main rig in my first post/

2nd Rig

Mobo MSI 790fx-gd70

CPU - Phenom II 955 @ 4.0ghz

Ram - 4 gigs Patriot Viper 1333mhz

GPU - 2 5770's xfired, one Saphire, one XFX

HD - 2 1tb Hitachi Deckstars

PSU - 700w Rocketfsh

case - Antec 902

3rd rig (Media PC)

Mobo - MSI 785GTM-E45

cpu - AMD Athlon II X3 450 (stock

Ram - 4 gigs Patriot Viper 1333mhz

GPU - MSI 5770

HD - 2 1tb Hstachi Deckstars

PSU - I totlally forget the name (I'm currently in Boston, MA and have no way of checking. 700w though

Case - Antec 902

4 (laptop) (Just bought after this face transplant surgery)

Asus g73sw laptop

CPU - I7-2630QM 2.0ghz and 2.9ghz with Turbo core

RAM - 8 Gigs Samsung DDR3

GPU - GTX 460m

HD - Seagate 750gb

Edited by Fifth

You laptop has the 15th best mobile CPU, good pick!!

Aren't AMD's just great for the money? (have you tried unlocking the x3? )

AMD's are awesome for the bang for your buck aspect. I pretty much only game so there really isn't a need for an I7 build, I just want one after seeing how fast this laptops I7 is lol.

I have and it didn't, might just be the lower class motherboard....I have yet to try it on the 790 or 890 chip set, really don't need to now, only thing hooked up to it is an HDMI cord ran to my upstairs Vizio, wireless keyboard n mouse. I use it as my media PC...I have well over 1tb ofnothing but 1080p movies and tv seasons on the HD's lol.

Anyone know how to over clock the g73 laptop? No option in bios and its the newest bios out. It's 2.0ghz stock and 2.9ghz turbo boost...I would like to be able to set it at 2.9ghz constant when needed instead of relying on turbo boost. Hell prime 95 only makes it run at 2.6ghz. Does pretty good as far as benchmarking on stock speeds - 630 in Heaven and 16,941 in 3dmark06...neither make it run at 2.9ghz though Heaven keeps it at stock 2.0ghz, and 3dmark06 pushes it to 2.5ghz. Temps are great to, I must say this is the coolest running laptop I've seen in a while!

Yeah I'm pretty sure that i7 is based off of the sandybridge architecture (hence why it's good).

The sandybridge cpu's have really destroyed most of AMD's top end chips with the pricing.

Nice avatar BTW, I'm a huge Gohan fan (and that was a badass fight).

I'd check out maybe clockgen, setfsb, setcpu or maybe some others. I've only heard of these programs so not sure how successful you'll be. If I were you I'd aim at keeping stock clocks but maybe try undervolting the CPU while remaining stable to help battery life (how long does the battery last??)

Yeah I'm pretty sure that i7 is based off of the sandybridge architecture (hence why it's good).

The sandybridge cpu's have really destroyed most of AMD's top end chips with the pricing.

Nice avatar BTW, I'm a huge Gohan fan (and that was a badass fight).

I'd check out maybe clockgen, setfsb, setcpu or maybe some others. I've only heard of these programs so not sure how successful you'll be. If I were you I'd aim at keeping stock clocks but maybe try undervolting the CPU while remaining stable to help battery life (how long does the battery last??)

I'm waiting for AMD's Bulldozer series to be released! It's supposed to put them back in the game as far as cpu power goes. Supposed tot give Intel a run for its money, but I'm waiting on it before I build a new machine.

• 2 months later...