TheMumm

Using PCIE 6 to 8 pin adapters

Try the 6 pin > 8 pin it will probably be OK and certainly won't damage anything.

Many power supplies with a 6+2 pin PCI-E connector are effectively wired this way anyway, six wires to a 6 pin PCI-E connector with the extra two pins linked somewhere to the ground wires on the 6 pin.

The 6 pin is rated at 75W but I've never been able to find a rating for the 8 pin but logically it should still be 75W. (The extra 2 pins on the 8 pin PCI-E connector are ground wires with no extra +12V capacity).

I was about to say this.

I wouldn't buy a whole new PSU just for the 8 pin plugs. I don't think I've ever seen an actual 8-pin connection going to the 8-pin plugs (like paul says it's usually two extra jumpered wires - both are grounds).

The 6 pin is rated at 75W but I've never been able to find a rating for the 8 pin but logically it should still be 75W. (The extra 2 pins on the 8 pin PCI-E connector are ground wires with no extra +12V capacity).

That's awesome Paul, learn something new everyday! I always thought since the more power hungry cards got them, they were supplying extra power with the extra two pins. Seemed farfetched to gain double the current for only 33% more pinnage :P

Well well well. Some interesting Developments:

Firstly, I'm going to have to return the PSU at some point. I will not be able to replace the PSU in this system - - the H2C cooling assembly has a power cord with a proprietary connector on one end with my PSU being the only one that it can connect to (listed as a P14).. I suppose I'll be driving back tonight to exchange / get that converter cable. And this 950 only has 1 24pin power connector and my Mobo needs a second.

I was always a pretty staunch supporter of my Dell system, people gave me all sorts of . for owning one, and I've always been happy with it. This proprietary stuff's unacceptable. If I wanted to buy a Mac, I would have. Bastards.

I've read places that the 8 pins are rated at 150W, but I've always questioned that for the same reasons, Paul.

On the bright side, now I at least know that I should probably start putting some cash away for a new processor and motherboard now before I start upgrading the rest of this nonsense. Aging DDR2-800 RAM and a BTX board aren't exactly the sexiest things anymore.

Cheers, gentlemen.

P.P.S. Also, in my scouring of the interbuts I was hard pressed to find my computer's Model mentioned ANYWHERE. I might post a tour of the damn thing while it's still in pieces on my table at home so others aren't bumbling around this thing like I have been.

UPDATE:

I installed the power adapter. Machine boots fine, however, I have noticed some screen flickering (the display keeps going off, then coming back on). Any ideas, champs?

This is happening when the PC is idle?

If your power supply as four 6 pin PCI-E connectors it's unlikely to be lack of power and I can't see the adapter causing any problem?

Did you completely remove your old graphics card driver?

New problem:

I'm getting screen artifacts on the desktop. chunks of pixels at random spots on the screen that are off color or wrong, I hope this thing isn't already dying on me.

I used DriverSweeper to remove the old card. I was planning on doing a full system reformat sometime this weekend, but I want to solve this problem first.

Screenshot of artifacts:

post-69187-13060182666849_thumb.png

Edited by TheMumm

Hmm...any way to test that card in another machine? It could be faulty (is it just me or are there a lot of DOA 6000 series cards???)...

I think that 6pin to 8pin adapter that you linked would work just fine! That is the adapter that a few of my cards came with. The 2x6pin to 8pin would work also! I know my PSU has (2) 6pin and (2) 8pin PCIe connectors, and when I ran Tri-Fire with (3) 6970's on the 3rd card all that I used was (2) 4pin molex to 6pin PCIe adapters, and then the same 6pin to 8pin PCIe adapter that you linked Mumm, and my Tri-Fire worked just fine! For your system, a 600W PSU should work just fine. I'm not very familiar with the Ultra PSU's, but 600W seems to be plenty for what you are running to me! But, I think your PSU shld be able to handle 1 6970 :thumbsup:

edit: sorry, didn't see the new problem :blush: Like others said, I would make sure all drivers are wiped and reinstall the 11.5, if that doesn't work and you can't test the card in another PC like Waco sd, then I would RMA! Solving the problem before reinstalling windows though is pointless, especially since the reinstall may solve the problem anyway! I would try the windows reinstall 1st ( esp since you planned on doing it anyway) and see if that fixes the problem! You may have some old drivers hanging around somewhere causing the problems, and a windows install would take care of that!