TheMumm

Using PCIE 6 to 8 pin adapters

Ok, so I picked up a 6970 with some tax return dollars only to find out my PSU has only 4 6-pin PCIE power connections. The card requires a 6 and an 8 pin connection. As I understand it presently, the 6 pins kick out 75 watts and the 8 pins 150. I need to either get an adapter or get a new PSU for this hog, but I'd rather not do the latter considering the current PSU (the stock one that came with my machine, '08 Dell XPS 720 H2C) is a 950W supply.

Is using these adapters a good idea? Is there a possibility of causing damage to any part of my system by using one? Should I be looking for a 2x6 pin --> 8 pin or just a 6 --> 8 pin adapter? If I use the adapter, and it doesn't cause damage, will there be a noticeable loss in performance of the hardware?

Much appriciated in advance.

I've used adapters in the past and they posed no problem. I used the 2x6 pin -> 8 pin. Hopefully jammer or paul comes by to give the definitive answer. ;)

I've used adapters in the past and they posed no problem. I used the 2x6 pin -> 8 pin. Hopefully jammer or paul comes by to give the definitive answer. ;)

Where did you get the 2x6 pin adapter? I've been hunting but all I seem to find are single 6 pins to 8 pins.

Yeah I've got a bunch of 2x6pins to 8pin connectors from all my various cards

I'm sure there's a few people that have the 2x6 pin adapter people are willing to give away for free (just pay for shipping). Heck, I could even ship you mine that I'll probably never use (I'm just too busy right now to go ship something from USPS until Friday or Saturday).

Right now, I'm more concerned about the safety of my components. I'd rather spend 200 bucks on a new PSU and know it won't wreck everything than spend a few bucks on an adapter that might bork everything up, or con me out of some of the power that I paid for.

Again, this is appreciated, don't know where I'd be without OCC

Sorry, I see that a lot of folks posted up while my response was refreshing. Doesn't look like you'll have any problem finding an adapter (possibly free even :))

Now I'll give you my take on the root of your question. I'm a very cautious person, so I generally try and stay away from adapters, splitters and such whenever possible. With that being said I've never experienced a "loss" of performance when using an adapter or splitter. And I'll admit that my aversion to adapters and splitters is ingrained from one bad experience with a splitter back in the NF4 days.

I know this doesn't help much but I think I can sum it up in about three sentences;

Will using an adapter or splitter hurt performance - no

Will using an adapter or splitter damage your hardware - no, not if you're using a decent adapter or splitter

Do I recommend using adapters or splitters - not personally

Keep the opinions coming, I get outta here at about 5 and I'll be trekking to Madison Heights Microcenter to either get an adapter or a PSU.

Another option might be to just pick up a new Power Supply with all of the correct connections that you need - then eBay your current unit to help offset some of the cost of the new power supply.....................