My New build begins!

Hi guys! its been a very long time!

I have decided to build a new system finally but i am getting a few dearer bits monthly until i can build/afford it lol

so far

asus p8p67 Pro B3

crucial C300 SSD 64gig

OCZ Fatal1ty PSU 80+

WD green 1TB HDD

Since i want a i5 2500K, todays question is, do i need to look out for better family codes, stepping codes or what ever they call them now! i know you could find better coded CPU's last time i bought one, which determined how good they would overclock. Do these have that indicated in codes any more? or is it luck of the draw?

thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for Sandy Bridge. If you are buying new, then you are buying the B3 revision which only fixed a minor flaw in motherboard SATA connectivity- no changes to the processor.

So, if you're looking at the 2500k then nope- all new boxes will hold the same chip (actual results may vary).

Not for Sandy Bridge. If you are buying new, then you are buying the B3 revision which only fixed a minor flaw in motherboard SATA connectivity- no changes to the processor.

So, if you're looking at the 2500k then nope- all new boxes will hold the same chip (actual results may vary).

so luck of the draw then. i was refering to the old AMD codes written on the CPU which could indicate what temps it could take etc, so this isnt the case anymore - thanks :)

i have to choose heatsink and memory soon

the Noctua NH-D14 looks good! but huge, what are you guys having good temps with? cheers

Sandy Bridge runs very cool. You don't really need a $80 cooler to get great overclocks (I can overclock mine to 4.2 GHz with the stock cooler). Basically any aftermarket cooler will allow a decent overclock (4.6 GHz or so). The Noctua is a high performer, but big, costly, and big. You can look at the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, which is super cheap but very good performance. There are several closed loop liquid cooling options- the Antec Kuhler 620/920, the Corsair H50/H60/H70. These save space, are low noise, and offer pretty good performance. Not the cheapest though, and not as effective as a true water loop (which aren't cheap either).

Pretty much, it depends on what your goal is. If you aren't overclocking, stock cooler works fine obviously.

thanks

i will check out that cooler

those h70's look pretty cool too

i want to overclock this rig when complete, i run D.A.W. software most of the time so want a decent stable overclock to batter out those basslines :)

i had a piece of paper somewhere with a short list of coolers and memory but seem to have lost it grr

concidering ddr3-2200 or 2133... ill hit back when i find my sheet lol

The faster memory isn't gonna make any difference in performance, and it won't help your overclock on a Sandy Bridge CPU since the BCLK is fixed and the multiplier is unlocked (so the higher frequency RAM isn't going to give you any overclocking headroom). I recommend a nice solid set of G.Skill or Corsair 1600 MHz RAM.

thanks

i will check out that cooler

those h70's look pretty cool too

i want to overclock this rig when complete, i run D.A.W. software most of the time so want a decent stable overclock to batter out those basslines :)

i had a piece of paper somewhere with a short list of coolers and memory but seem to have lost it grr

concidering ddr3-2200 or 2133... ill hit back when i find my sheet lol

Stick with the coolermaster 212+, it got my friend's 2500k to 4.5ghz just fine!

Also just get 1600mhz ram, anything over that is a waste of money.

I would get a Z68 chipset motherboard. Check this one out. The new UEFI interface bios is nothing short of outstanding..... The Coolermaster 212+ is a mid range aircooler and although cheap is not stellar at higher voltages. FYI. There are many better but more expensive. The Noctua D-14, Prolimatech Genesis and Scythe Susanoo lead the pack.

http://www.pureoverc...rticle1280.html

asus_p8z68vpro_5.jpg

Edited by Drdeath

Stick with the coolermaster 212+, it got my friend's 2500k to 4.5ghz just fine!

Also just get 1600mhz ram, anything over that is a waste of money.

:withstupid:

Here is my personal database for some newer air coolers that I tested:

kkkkk-1.jpg

At 4.2GHz plus many did not pass like the coolermarster 212+ whereas the D-14, Prolimatech Genesis and the Scythe susanoo shined. Granted this with i7 930 and not a snadybridge. These coolers would run Sandy cooler and pro long the life.

Edited by Drdeath

Here is my personal database for some newer air coolers that I tested:

PICTURE!

At 4.2GHz plus many did not pass like the coolermarster 212+ whereas the D-14, Prolimatech Genesis and the Scythe susanoo shined. Granted this with i7 930 and not a snadybridge. These coolers would run Sandy cooler and pro long the life.

4.5ghz and the 212+ ran like 65C max temps (which is within the intel safe temp limit, therefore no loss in life since a stock cooler would probably get up there), but your chart does bring up a good old recommendation of the Dark Knight (though it's popularity has raised it's price over the years and it's lost the price/performance crown) but lol at it performing just as well as the D14

4.5ghz and the 212+ ran like 65C max temps (which is within the intel safe temp limit, therefore no loss in life since a stock cooler would probably get up there), but your chart does bring up a good old recommendation of the Dark Knight (though it's popularity has raised it's price over the years and it's lost the price/performance crown) but lol at it performing just as well as the D14

Dark Night is awesome BTW. All of those top performers are great. I tested most of them. The Genesis and the Sasunoo cool the memory which is a plus.... FYI

I still have the Susanoo if yor interested PM me. It was the best out of all of them. They were tested on the heat monster i7 930 BTW.

Susanoo

1-9.jpg

Genesis:

9-1.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Drdeath