I need an engine

budget is very dependent on my job status, i have been applying for any and all jobs within 40 miles for more than a year and no luck, thats what i get for not living near any big cities, i am still unemployed, so if i cant get a job by next semester i will have to build this engine on a student loan, which will be about 3 grand, but will hope for more

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where would i find one of those, and or someone who knows how to build one, im not against import engines, its just i have no knoledge of them

The N62's are bad ideas. They're expensive, high maintenance, and are usually not that easy to find without the car attached.

after having a chat with dr bowtie, i have decided on a 351w, i dunno if i am going with an svo block or not, i depends on how much money i have when the fall semester starts, i would love to go all aluminum but, that is expensive and not probable, i am at school right now waiting for my final to open and i printed 150 pages worth of information on the 351 off of our extensive database my school keeps, i get 250 free prints a semester and i only used thirty some so why not,

i have decided if i go with an svo block im going with a 428 stroker kit with a 4.125 bore, and if i go with a standard 351, i am going 408 cu in, that requires a .030 overbore, both kits im looking at have forged cranks, H beam rods, and forged aluminum pistons.

oh and if anyone feels like you need something to do for a few days, research the relation between compression ratios, combustion chamber sizes, piston shape, and quench!

Edited by camaro_dude15

If you want a dirt cheap motor that is a lot of fun to play with, get a Honda B-series motor, bore it to 2.2+L, and work the head like crazy. Sure, you will only make 220hp, but if you put it in a little Civic hatchback would you have a pretty quick little grocery getter lol

I have built a couple Hondas and they are a lot of fun to drive. I road raced them until I wrecked and am working on the rebuild now. But these cars are dirt cheap to build and you can do so much with them because the aftermarket is huge. If you turbocharge it and build up the bottom end you can make as much as 800+hp with a good tuner.

If you want a dirt cheap motor that is a lot of fun to play with, get a Honda B-series motor, bore it to 2.2+L, and work the head like crazy. Sure, you will only make 220hp, but if you put it in a little Civic hatchback would you have a pretty quick little grocery getter lol

I have built a couple Hondas and they are a lot of fun to drive. I road raced them until I wrecked and am working on the rebuild now. But these cars are dirt cheap to build and you can do so much with them because the aftermarket is huge. If you turbocharge it and build up the bottom end you can make as much as 800+hp with a good tuner.

im going with a 351w, hopefully i will get 400 hp, but more is always welcomed

im going with a 351w, hopefully i will get 400 hp, but more is always welcomed

if you went with the stock block 351 and the 408 kit and the stock 351w heads and only cleaned them up and did sa slight bowl blend and used Stainless street flow valves and a very mild .216 duration cam you'd be at 425hp...

going with aftermarket heads like the trickflow track heat heads (or the newer revision you'd easily hit 500hp with a slightly larger cam...or 600hp with a 230-240 duration cam

even if you used the el-cheapo Patriot aluminums you'd hit 500hp easy

if you went with the stock block 351 and the 408 kit and the stock 351w heads and only cleaned them up and did sa slight bowl blend and used Stainless street flow valves and a very mild .216 duration cam you'd be at 425hp...

going with aftermarket heads like the trickflow track heat heads (or the newer revision you'd easily hit 500hp with a slightly larger cam...or 600hp with a 230-240 duration cam

even if you used the el-cheapo Patriot aluminums you'd hit 500hp easy

i was planning on iron darts, if money was tight, and the twisted wedge track heats you recomended if i get up and get a job, i was planning on getting a very large cam, i want a rough idle with crazy high end power.

so here are my rough decisions so far (considering im not done researching) if i get a decent job:

Aluminum ford racing svo style block

stroker kit with forged crank, pistons, H beam rods 4.125 bore 4 inch stroke

trick flow track heats, still unsure on combustion chamber and intake runner size

comp cams xtreme energy roller cam 294in 300ex this cam with factory rocker ratio pushes the limit of the heads, so i might need to change some springs

well the only shaft mount roller rocker arms that i could find that will work with those trick flow heads, 1.6 ratio which is basically stock which is 1.61

fast ez efi i will get the add on kit to add a second throttle bodie, its expensive but i think fuel injection is worth it,

then i will add all the usual, high volume oil pump, msd ignition, duel quad intake manifold, electric water pump, custom length pushrods, light weight flywheel, the works

and i will paint it all to look like crap, so when i pop the hood no one will have a clue, oh did i mention this will probably end up in a ford f-250.

edit: oh yeah i have a summit racing credit card with a decent limit, so as long as i get a job im good,

dr bowtie, how much power is that worth lol

Edited by camaro_dude15

Wow this stuff is Greek to a 15 year old :whoa::lol:

to some it is. I was born a gearhead...the only one in my family so I gather from that the Milkman must have been a gear head. I was hooked on anything with a piston at a very young age. Probably around 10 years old or so. Dabbled in everything engine until I was old enough to get into cars. By the time I got my first car (13) I had already had a few engines so the first logical thing was to make friends with auto mechanics. I learned alot of the basics just hanging around.

From then on I was hooked on cars and engines. I had maybe 4-5 cars before I even got my license and was working on fixing them up. In high school I took an auto class that really taught the thorough basics then the last 2 years I took auto mechanics at a Career Center. When I was at CC they offered Summer School for only the 2 years I was they both were Advanced Engines...I took them both years and thats where I as the OP built a very sweet little 283 small block chevy. This was back in 1989 and I still have that very engine to this day. I put it in my 57 Bel-Air in the class and ran it around town. it ran 12.90s at the local track. Not bad for a 4dr car LOL.

Skip back in time for a few....

During the first Advanced Engines class we took a field trip to a local machine shop (Shaker Racing) where the owner is a local legend. He raced back in the day and broke many, many records. For some reason I took to be friends with this guy and we've had a lasting friendship many years now. I started going to the machine shop and volunteering time sorta of like an intern. he wasnt into hiring people for work with no knowledge of machining but, he was quick to teach me about Engines and all the fundamentals. Not only did this guy know engines he knew the whole car. I learned a great deal from this guy and continued all I could. I could probably write a book on the info he taught me and the ways he had me learn. He never gave me the answer I had to figure it out..

Even after teh schooling and a career change I kept goingto the machine shop in my spare time. I got into Construction out of high school and then I went to work at his house doing odds and ends and making beer runs. I spent many weekends there learning Engines , Transmissions and Chassis. He really wanted me to go into the racing engine business but at that time I wasnt willing to I was just interested in learning all I could. I learned a great deal from this person and over the years I have used the knowledge to stay one step ahead of my friends. I have always beat them with a smaller engine and a faster rating one...

During my stint learning he was teaching another person a little older than me the same thing and that person was into the racing biz. This person I also became friends with and I help time to time assemble engine just for fun and work on some high dollar race cars. I enjoy it alot. I have built 1000s of engines myself and have modified anything with a piston. I had a 16:1 compression weedeater that ran on C116 race fuel...LOL that was fun to use.

Biggest engine I have worked on was a 704in Big Block Chevy. had the big port Pontiac heads and 14:1 compression and an .800in lift cam. I tore it all down and freshened it and put it all back together...just never fired it as i had to leave for the winter...

Engines are my 1st passion...more so than woman

Thats an awesome story bowtie. I'm 16 and hope that I can learn those things one day. No one else in the family is really a gear head either so I'm left to tinkering on my own. I hope to be able to work this summer with some guys on their sprint car. They do everything themselves on those cars and boy would I love to help with that stuff. I don't care if I get payed, its worth it to me just in the knowledge. One day I wanna build an engine. I don't care if it's a basic 350 just something lol. Sorry for the thread hijack. Anyway that looks like it'll be a mean engine camaro, Haha if you want I'll trade you my 6.2 diesel........ :biggrin: