Screen mod

So here's what I have going on, this old guy I work with has a habit of buying things, getting bored with them, and then giving them to me. The last item I got was a 7inch usb screen. I think it would be cool to have that mounted on the front of my case, maybe at the top and move the DVD and Blu Ray drives below it. I managed to take apart the housing and get the screen down to just the panel and the circuit board. i plugged it into my laptop and it still works so I'm happy. My question is, what is the best way to go about mounting it and hooking it up?

I'm not even sure if it will fit yet, I have a HAF932 case. The way the screen is powered is from a mini usb port in the circuit board. The mini USB cord splits into two USB plugs that go into the computer (i assume one for power and one for the video). I'll be taking a crack at it as soon as I get off work, I'll post pics and such. Thanks!

Edited by zao8350

Haha, that's a bummer. Thanks!

I checked it out and it is a bit wider than the slots for the optical drives. So i might have to attack it with the dremel and then see if there is a way I can Rig something up around it to not look retarded and give me a frame. That or I might cut a whole in the side panel and mount it there. We shall see!

So i used a dremel and cut a hole in the side of my case. I apparently have shaky hands. The cut looked terrible; I ended up filing it to smooth it down but the paint on the outside got messed up so I just kind of sprayed around it with white paint to kind of highlight it. I had been planning on going to a black and white them with my case and figured now was as good a time as any to start. I will post pics after I get the whole thing put back together!

Thanks!

Ha, maybe... the file to smooth it out def made it look better. The top looks like trash though. Eventually I may put a border material around it, maybe shrink tubing. I don't mind too much. I'm just biding my time until I get my dad to give me his old G5 tower. That sexy case is going to be a beautiful build for me...

I vote putting this on the screen all the times, tell people it's alive any always watching them while it has power on

hal.jpg

Maybe bind an animated eye that loops of it making small adjustments and looking alive

Thanks Andrewr. My name is actually Andrew and my last name starts with R. That felt like I was talking to myself :P

Haha, I'll look into it! (No pun intended) Maybe get the Eye of Sauron doing it's thing

Thanks Andrewr. My name is actually Andrew and my last name starts with R. That felt like I was talking to myself :P

Haha, I'll look into it! (No pun intended) Maybe get the Eye of Sauron doing it's thing

Do it (I was gonna actually recommend that eye too, but this one would be more related :P )

you could alternate depending on what your friends know ;)

Maybe some alien teeth for good measure

alien-teeth-head.png