U2311H

Hi.

I have a pc and a ps3 at home. I connected my PC through DVI, no problem there but my ps3 outputs HDMI and my monitor doesn't support that. So the only option left is DisplayPort, I went to the store and bought DisplayPort to HDMI cable but it doesn't work. So basicly I need to connect my ps3 through my DisplayPort, any sugestions???

So, you're trying to connect both your PC and PS3 to the same monitor, and switch the monitor modes? With that monitor, your best bet would just to have two HDMI cables, each plugged into the PC and PS3, and just switch the outputs to the monitor for whichever one you'll be using. Yeah, it sucks, but that's the best way if you want the best quality for both (and it's sure to work).

So, you're trying to connect both your PC and PS3 to the same monitor, and switch the monitor modes? With that monitor, your best bet would just to have two HDMI cables, each plugged into the PC and PS3, and just switch the outputs to the monitor for whichever one you'll be using. Yeah, it sucks, but that's the best way if you want the best quality for both (and it's sure to work).

Except that his monitor doesn't have any HDMI ports. :P It's just DisplayPort, VGA, and DVI.

If the DP to HDMI cable doesn't work, you could use a DP to HDMI adapter so that way you're using a regular cable. Plug in a DP cable to the monitor, run it down to the PS3, and then use the adapter to plug the DP cable into the PS3 HDMI port.

I'm just saying, everything I've heard uses an adapter rather than a cable. I've never had luck with cables that terminate in two different ends, I typically go for adapters.

Display port cannot be feed with a DVI/HDMI feed. Those adapters which have been linked are only to be used on a Display port OUT (ie. on your computer) and NOT on a display port IN.

What graphics card do you have in your computer? Maybe its time for an upgrade to one with a Display Port?

If not, you are going to have to invest in some kind of DVI switch, or manually switch cables. (Get a HDMI -> DVI lead for the PS3)

I also tried connecting my PC(GPU) with a mini DP to DP cable but it didn't work. I tried to find out why but I still don't get it, it seems it had something to do with the 20th Pin...

Also can you guys post a link to these adapters that would work for me, I don't want to make any mistakes again.

Edited by The EvilAlex

i have the same monitor, just use Dvi to Hdmi and be done with it, no need to convert anything. Hdmi is dvi with audio support

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270113&cm_re=hdmi_to_dvi-_-12-270-113-_-Product

the only problem is you wont have audio unless you run it to a A/V receiver.

Edited by hornybluecow

i'm guessing that ur monitor doesn't have two dvi's? can't you switch the pc to display port or vga?

I tried connecting my PC(GPU) with a mini DP to DP cable but it didn't work. I tried to find out why but I still don't get it, it seems it had something to do with the 20th Pin...

that monitor doesn't have a vga port but it's easy enough to just use the connector i listed above. i use it all the time for xbox 360 when i have someone over. of course you get no sound unless it goes to a A/V unit first. that monitor has no speakers.

Edited by hornybluecow

I tried connecting my PC(GPU) with a mini DP to DP cable but it didn't work. I tried to find out why but I still don't get it, it seems it had something to do with the 20th Pin...

maybe it was a bad cable? Don't you have a friend with a normal adaptor?