Ramdisk is FAST!!!

I just created a ramdisk with the extra system memory I have (Recently bought 16GB) and here are some benchmark results. Al these results taken from the same system. I made the ramdisk 10GB, which leaves me with 6GB of system memory which is plenty.

Just set this up and its sorta fast I think. :P

Ramdisk.png

Compare that to my SSD's in RAID0

Capture-5.png

Then compare it to a single WD Blue drive.

HDD-1.png

Wow that really is fast. Funny how your ramdisk is higher than your actual amount of ram being used :D

Which program did you use for the Ramdisk?

Edited by My_Inner_Fred

Wow that really is fast. Funny how your ramdisk is higher than your actual amount of ram being used :D

Yeah I figured I would try it out by loading whatever game I feel like playing that week/month and see how much faster it is....I would imagine its going to rock.....I haven't tried it yet as I'm at work right now and did it over RDP. :P

I was just looking into RAMdisk today! But I was thinking of using it for my page file! I would then be able to give my OS 8gigs of ram and 8gigs of RAMdisk for page file! :)

I was just looking into RAMdisk today! But I was thinking of using it for my page file! I would then be able to give my OS 8gigs of ram and 8gigs of RAMdisk for page file! :)

Not according to your sig.

I think that might be a little pointless.....you would be better off disabling your page file and just using your memory...

I think that might be a little pointless.....you would be better off disabling your page file and just using your memory...

Disabling page file isn't always a good idea, some programs require some page file. Or at least that what I've heard. You can just shrink your page file to save space.

Putting your page file on a RAM disk would be pretty pointless...it just adds overhead. If you're running into swap you'd be better off with more RAM than a fast page file.

I ran a 3gb ramdisk 2 years ago for testing and used it to run CnC Renegade and I was literally always the first person on a server, it was fn outstanding but I didn't have enough ram to spare to make a ramdrive big enough for newer games :(

If you have 12gb+ ram I highly recommend bringing your system down to 3 or 4gb ram and making the rest a ramdrive if you play any games with long load times. as the difference really is insane.

If Gigabyte made a more modern i-ram that was affordable, took DDR3 and had 8 dimm slots with support for 32gb - 64gb ram they'd have something that gamers everywhere would love.

Edited by WARDOZERX