jammin

Micro ATX Quiet Case Build

Nice to see someone put their ideas to work. I built my own Acrylic case back in Dec 04 Jan 05. Still using it today. Next build comming soon with purchased case... you get soo much for the money these days in cases and they are getting more efficient all the time.

I like your case so far. Keep it up and get it finished.

Every part of this seems to take longer than I expect it to, but I'm still making progress and I'm trying to make sure I get it right after all. ;)

I wanted to get the side panels done, so I have been focusing on those the past couple of days.

First here I am marking where I will be attaching some brackets to the front panel, that the side panels will then mate into.

IMG_0655.jpg

After mounting them and cutting a small channel, they look something like this:

IMG_0657.jpg

This is what I added to the side panels, and nut below the washer is what will slip into the channel on the brackets.

IMG_0660.jpg

Of course, I had to countersink any of the heads on the side panels, as these would need to be covered and flattened to give a surface to apply the carbon fiber vinyl to.

IMG_0663.jpg

Some sawdust and white glue makes for some good filler:

IMG_0666-1.jpg

And this went over the heads to level the surface

IMG_0668.jpg

I had to wait for that to dry for a while, and then sand it down.

So while I was waiting, I experimented a bit with the LEDs I have.

I filed them down a bit so they were flat rather than round, and this also gave them a diffuse glow.

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

I quite like the look of them like that, so I think I will be using them. :)

Once the filler was dried and sanded on the side panels, it was time to apply some vinyl

IMG_0675.jpg

It proved to be pretty straight forward, and here is the result:

IMG_0679.jpg

I also made some screw threads to mount the side panels on the back of the case.

Here are a few photos of where I am now:

IMG_0068-1.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Quite happy with how the carbon fiber looks really.

Another small update, as I'm still working on the panels and stuff a bit.

This time some fun with foam.

This is the left panel (the one that is opposite the motherboard).

IMG_0073.jpg

And this is a view in through the top fan hole with the panel installed:

IMG_0078.jpg

I may try and get some of the other foam parts done tonight, such as around the motherboard tray itself.

Oh yes, contact (spray) adhesive to attach the foam to the panel btw. ;)

How heavy is that case so far?

As it is so far, with both side panels on, it weighs 10.4 pounds ( 4.7kg )

have hdd's horisontally? sorta normal? lol is that case wood?

Write in sentences? :P

But seriously, I think I might have a better idea of what you are saying then. I'll attempt to answer anyway.

I think it is perfectly normal to mount HDDs vertically, I have seen it done plenty of times before.

Is it wood? Well sort of, it is a combination of aluminium and MDF as it stands. I wouldn't personally call MDF 'wood', though that is what it is made from.

There will be some real wood (as you can see from the pieces I will be cutting for the top and bottom sections).

And here is what the foam looks like on the panel around the motherboard tray.

Note that this isn't stuck to the panel. I made cuts in the foam with a knife (which you can't really see) where the cable routing holes are.

IMG_0082.jpg

Write in sentences? :P

But seriously, I think I might have a better idea of what you are saying then. I'll attempt to answer anyway.

I think it is perfectly normal to mount HDDs vertically, I have seen it done plenty of times before.

Is it wood? Well sort of, it is a combination of aluminium and MDF as it stands. I wouldn't personally call MDF 'wood', though that is what it is made from.

There will be some real wood (as you can see from the pieces I will be cutting for the top and bottom sections).

What defines a sentence?

But isn't it better to keep the platters horizontal for less mini bumps and and the write head so it doesn't get affected by gravity as much?

isn't metal a better conductor of heat? u gonna put a coat on so it don't catch no fire?

Disks can be horizontal with no issues at all.

Metal is a great conductor of heat - but that works both ways (good and bad), so MDF isn't likely a problem, given the air-flow plans.

A coat so it doesn't catch fire? Better do that to anything around the home too, eh?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.