Micro ATX Quiet Case Build

jammin

Fitted the two 140mm fans, and sorted out the HDD mounting system.

IMG_1022.jpg

I was originally planning to mount top fan on the other side of the inner top panel, closer to the motherboard, but I had some slight clearance issues (these Thermalright fans are a little thicker than regular fans). There is enough space to fit it on the top underneath the top panel though, with what I think should be enough clearance to not impede airflow (a good 10mm or so). It was either that or use a regular fan, or alternatively move the motherboard tray down a bit (hassle).

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

Fingerprints on aluminium are a classy lady. Also added carbon fibre vinyl to the HDD brackets.

IMG_1027.jpg

The final layer on the bottom panel is still drying but should be ready soon.

IMG_1028.jpg

Should be done this weekend. :)

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can rotating the fan 90 degrees help mounting clearances? The fan operation will have some airflow reduction where it is mounted now. Is the airflow reduction significant to warrant change? The simpliest way to determine this answer is to test the fan in both positions taking note of the resulting temps. All fans can have their airflow to pressure drop relationship graphed. When the fan operates at high pressure drop to move air it will end up moving less air than if it operates at low pressure drop. The closer an obstruction is to the fan the greater the pressure drop.

Right, I can say that the outside of the case is pretty much finished now.

I still need to add some filtering to the bottom intakes, but apart from that it is basically done.

IMG_1039.jpg

I'll do my best to finish of the insides tomorrow, then the only thing left will be the hardware.

More pics of everything tomorrow too.

That turned out good, you should do a few more shots of it at different angles too.

I can't wait to see you put the components in it and stark tweaking everything to run silently.

You should make a video of your current machine and this new one (set the same distance from the camera) and compare the volume of each at full load.

I tidied up the insides a bit and took some pictures today. They aren't the best pictures, but it is what I could manage with the time I had.

case1-1.jpg

case2-1.jpg

case3-1.jpg

case4-1.jpg

case5.jpg

case6.jpg

case7.jpg

case8.jpg

Not sure if I will use any more foam than I have done so far, and have ideas about making a cover for the area where wires exit the PSU (I have a bit of aluminium left over that I could use, and probably enough carbon fibre vinyl to cover it should I want.

Still need some filter material for the bottom intakes too.

I can pretty much call it done now though. Will take some more pictures once I get some hardware in there. :)

The clean white background shows off the craftsmanship, so I think the pictures came out nice :thumbsup:

I'm no smart dude so this can probably be answered in one word, but won't the foam increase the ambient temperature of the case? Guessing the top fan is intake and then you will use the PSU + 1 fan to exhaust at the bottom?

Edited by Fogel