jammin

Micro ATX Quiet Case Build

I didn't think of the metal shaping complexity till Silverfox mentioned it. Good job calling it on the first guess! :cheers:

Like I said, I still like the look of the wood and carbon fiber mix - good contrast - so don't take my question for anything more than curiosity. :happy:

Time for some more pictures :)

I have been working on the bottom section the last few days, and it should be done soon.

Here it is with the frame attached to the case (which is upside down, obviously)

IMG_0991.jpg

This is the size of the veneer sheets I have. I'm just marking the frame here, using the sheet as a guide, so that I can put glue in the right place.

IMG_0992.jpg

A liberal application of PVA

IMG_0993.jpg

And some pictures of my sophisticated compression system. The glue takes a while to dry, so it is necessary to keep weight on it while it does.

IMG_0995.jpg

Too much glue is better than not enough. ;)

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

@bp9801

Haven't done any fan tests yet, but that's not a bad idea. It'll be easy to test with and without the top section on once the build is complete. :)

Onto the second layer of veneer on the bottom section now, so should be done tomorrow or the next day on that.

In the mean time I did a test fit of a power supply (with my reserve PSU, an Antec EA380).

IMG_1002.jpg

It's a good thing all those fingerprints on the tray will be covered by the motherboard when it goes in.

IMG_1006.jpg

The cable management with the Corsair AX850 should be pretty easy, as I will only need to use one molex / SATA cable chain along with the motherboard and PCIe power.

Will the whole thing be finished by the end of the week?

It's certainly a possibility. :)

If anyone fancies donating a 2500K so I can put some hardware in it, that would be great. :lol:

Looking real good so far. I'm guessing that the open supports on the front and back of the bottom side, and the back of the top side, are to allow the fans mounted there to pull in/exhaust the air?

As for the fan testing, could be worthwhile, even if you use the old Antec PSU to hook them up.

Looking real good so far. I'm guessing that the open supports on the front and back of the bottom side, and the back of the top side, are to allow the fans mounted there to pull in/exhaust the air?

Yep, exactly ;)

Hooking up the fans directly to the PSU may be tricky, as they are the 4-pin PWM type. So I'd have to butcher a fan molex adaptor slighty.

Edited by jammin

Thought so. I saw the look of those supports and it was the first thing to cross my mind.

As for the fans, well, it was worth a shot on that PSU. May have to wait until you can move the Corsair into it.

Ben you lost me on the wood top. Carbon Fiber would have worked for me. Just my opinion. I applaud your efforts though.

Agreed.

Still looking forward to seeing it all fin! What hardware are you planning to put in it?

Some nice brushed metal or similar would have been nice for the top, though obviously I have gone down this route for reasons explained earlier.

I personally think covering the whole thing in carbon fiber vinyl would have looked a bit bland. It would still be an option if I get bored with how it is now. I'd probably go with a different colour vinyl though.

What I'm currently planning to put in it is this:

2500K (still to get)

Asus Maximus Gene-Z (picture earlier)

8GB Mushkin Silverline (already have this too)

HD 6670 1GB (just got this today, a competition prize.. replaces my HD 4850 as it is pretty similar in terms of performance. Anyway, a stopgap until I can afford something better)

2 HDDs from my current system (again, will replace this when I can afford to. A large SSD would be nice)

Yep, exactly ;)

Hooking up the fans directly to the PSU may be tricky, as they are the 4-pin PWM type. So I'd have to butcher a fan molex adaptor slighty.

Test the fans at full power by connecting the black wire on the four pin molex to the pin one on the fan connector and the yellow wire on the four pin molex to the pin two. Pin one on the fan connector is marked by a line or arrowhead. I test without butchering the fan molex adaptor by using spare wire. In this instance I would strip one end off the wire about 1/4 inch and twist the end, insert in the fan connector and fold parallel to the fan wires and tape secure. The end entering the four pin molex I strip about two inches and fold the wire to end up with a 1/4 inch end that will be thick enough to fit snuggly into the molex connector and fold parallel with the molex power wires and tape secure.

The wire idea for fan testing is a sound one.

I have tested fans outside of cases in almost exactly that way before, the difference being that I have hooked them up to a AC/DC wall wart that will output different voltages (3-15V if I remember correctly).

If I'm honest, I just don't fancy fiddling with them and testing inside the case before everything is finished. :lol:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.