The days of chivalry are gone....

I think the point is that we can all agree that telling women to dress more homely is not the right solution to prevent rape. :cheers:

Yoga pants are the perfect balance of sexy and comfort, says my girlfriend. I enjoy it. ;)

I think his actually statement is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life period.

There is countless seniors that are raped every year by a rapist of some sort. Little child are kidnapped and raped every year, too sit there and state a statement like that is complete BS.

I could go on and on but it there is no point, he is just a dumb Toronto cop that needs a punch in the mouth.

Don't worry, Bosco, we don't hold all Canadians responsible for what one moron said ;). The problem is that it's just a repeat of what other people have said, which has no factual backing whatsoever.

Edited by iskout

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A "rapist" is no longer a voilent molestor that graps women in the park. Its more often two persons at a party going home together and one of them regretting it afterwards/during the act. Not trying to defend any one but this is often the reality.

And the point is that this kind of rapes can actually depend on clothing.

Edited by medbor

KB already stated one point I was going to make. Most rapes are because of some screwed up man wanting to show dominence or inflict pain. It's rarely sexual. Bosco touched on another point...young children are raped...boys and girls....elderly...rape victims come in all ages and manner of dress. The cop stuck his foot in his mouth. I personally don't dress like a whore...and can't say as I ever have. However, a woman should be able to dress any way she wants. There is no excuse for victimizing a woman. It doesn't matter how she's dressed or how drunk she is. It doesn't matter if she's your girIfriend and you think you are entitled. I can't count how many times i've heard men say "Well look at her...she's just asking for it". I'll admit...when i see a woman dressed very provocatively I automatically lose a little respect for her...only because i'm a very modest person and i can't imagine any woman wanting to portray themselves that way... but nobody deserves rape. I know i'm repeating myself...but some guys are just clueless. Talk to any woman who has been through it and see how heated the conversation gets.

Also...@ Medbor....a rapist ranges from a vicious attacker to a college guy taking advantage of a drunk girl. They're old...young...etc etc.

Edited by CelticaFLM

I'd have to say I disagree with the police officer changing the way a women dresses isn't in most cases going to stop rape from happening because like said before rape is usually more about having control rather than satisfying ones desires

Although I don't think the SlutWalk movement is a good title for there movement because it might be sending the wrong message

Edited by fire_storm

While I'm all for freedom of speech and all of that good stuff there, I can't agree with anyone in this situation other than the officer. I just have a tough time agreeing with people with such poor judgement that they believe children should participate in SlutWalks, that's absolutely disgusting.

I think the problem is the venue in which the statement was made, not the statement itself. I tend to agree with the statement somewhat, you dangle a T-Bone steak in front of an alligator and its gonna snatch it right up, if its a cow on the other hand then it has to first chase and catch the cow...

I think its a completely inappropriate statement by the officer, having served in the military you know that there is a time and place to be professional and wear your military hat, and there is also a time and place to cut loose and wear your civilian hat, you cannot cut loose while wearing the military hat (or in this case a police officer).

I think the problem is the venue in which the statement was made, not the statement itself. I tend to agree with the statement somewhat, you dangle a T-Bone steak in front of an alligator and its gonna snatch it right up, if its a cow on the other hand then it has to first chase and catch the cow...

I think its a completely inappropriate statement by the officer, having served in the military you know that there is a time and place to be professional and wear your military hat, and there is also a time and place to cut loose and wear your civilian hat, you cannot cut loose while wearing the military hat (or in this case a police officer).

I agree that his statement wasn't nice but I personally think he meant it in a professional way, even if it didn't come out that way. For example, a parent that tries to teach their kid not to do something bad by hitting them upside the head, it's probably not the best way to handle it but the idea is they were just trying to do their job. I just don't think this guy is trying to insult anyone as much as maybe he isn't very good at writing speeches, I mean he is just an officer, not an author.

One of the problems I have with this situation is that it seems to me as though people are upset about his misplaced wording, but then they in turn don't take care to do the same, for example with that child thing I was talking about, I don't know how that affects others but it really bothers me, I don't think children need to participate in an event that promotes the use of foul language or what that word represents. To me it looks like a bunch of people spoiled by their freedom of speech trying to get away with the exact thing they're complaining about. I mean I'm all for the reason they claim these marches to be under, and I think it's promotes the progress of society, but I think they also promote the regress of society by showing that they haven't learned from his mistake, that's the whole reason we hold something like history to be so important, to learn from the mistakes of others for the sake of making the world a better place in the future and now.

I agree that his statement wasn't nice but I personally think he meant it in a professional way, even if it didn't come out that way. For example, a parent that tries to teach their kid not to do something bad by hitting them upside the head, it's probably not the best way to handle it but the idea is they were just trying to do their job. I just don't think this guy is trying to insult anyone as much as maybe he isn't very good at writing speeches, I mean he is just an officer, not an author.

One of the problems I have with this situation is that it seems to me as though people are upset about his misplaced wording, but then they in turn don't take care to do the same, for example with that child thing I was talking about, I don't know how that affects others but it really bothers me, I don't think children need to participate in an event that promotes the use of foul language or what that word represents. To me it looks like a bunch of people spoiled by their freedom of speech trying to get away with the exact thing they're complaining about. I mean I'm all for the reason they claim these marches to be under, and I think it's promotes the progress of society, but I think they also promote the regress of society by showing that they haven't learned from his mistake, that's the whole reason we hold something like history to be so important, to learn from the mistakes of others for the sake of making the world a better place in the future and now.

I think what there complaining at is the fact that it's not fair that women have to watch what they wear other wise they will be called a this or that bad name and if they are raped it will be considered there fault for being raped while men can wear whatever they want and if there raped they are never blamed for it

I do agree with you about the protest I'm all for freedom of speech and women's right's but it does seem like there doing it in the wrong way which could make things worse

Edited by fire_storm

I'd like to restate my opinions here before there's more generalizing of what "they" think.

First, there are two points being discussed; how women dress and the walks. The simplest way I can explain my opinion on the dress is this; it is most likely (99%) not the woman's fault she was raped (in reality I'm sure there have been an exception or two, I'm just trying not to make a broad statement) but that doesn't mean provocative clothing will not influence a rapist's decision. Same goes for a woman's actions. If she acts provocatively, that could encourage a rapist. Also, it is possible that some women can find comfort within the belief that their modest clothing makes them less of a target, and I don't think it would be a good thing to shatter that concept.

The walks, again to put it as simply as I can, I believe are foolish. As fire_storm put it "it does seem like there doing it in the wrong way which could make things worse." I'm not sure the walks could make the situation worse but I do believe it is the incorrect way to handle this. You want a walk, fine. Have a speaker at the end of the walk to talk to the crowd about rape, great. To essentially glorify the word for a loose woman is just idiotic to me.

Should the officer have said what he did the way he did? Almost certainly not. What I believe does need to be done in society is not have those walks but have there be more encouragement for rape victims to go to the authorities. What is the number they estimate? 40% I think is how many rapes, in the US, officials believe are reported. That needs to change and those walks won't do it. Especially because the format of the walks will cause some people to immediately dismiss them. How many women would avoid those walks and not hear the speaker's lessons just because they disapprove of the format? How many parents would disapprove of them and not let their children attend the walks?

This is too big an issue to let a comment or a sensation causing name disrupt efforts to deal with it. Really, that's what the name is doing, it's making it some kind of sensation to grab people's attention and force a decision to be made just at the name, and not at the substance.

I think I've said enough. Let me know if there's just a "Walk Against Rape" anytime soon. If it's near, I'll attend. If not, I'll see if I can support it some other way.

(Yes, I realize "Walk Against Rape" is W.A.R, but at least that sensationalist name is less likely to offend people, considering the purpose of it is in the name too. Also, I didn't notice the initials until I actually wrote it.)

Also...@ Medbor....a rapist ranges from a vicious attacker to a college guy taking advantage of a drunk girl. They're old...young...etc etc.

That was kinda what i meant...

I think what there complaining at is the fact that it's not fair that women have to watch what they wear other wise they will be called a this or that bad name and if they are raped it will be considered there fault for being raped while men can wear whatever they want and if there raped they are never blamed for it

I do agree with you about the protest I'm all for freedom of speech and women's right's but it does seem like there doing it in the wrong way which could make things worse

I'm not trying to say women should watch what they wear, as much as they should try and be careful about it. Personally I don't think a woman should dress that way unless she has the intent of attracting men, that's the exact reason prostitutes or strippers dress in such a manner, it's their job to attract men to them and certain clothes and make up help do that. However the difference is that their line of work understands that such things can drive certain men over the edge, that's why they have security in strip clubs. Believe me, I'm a man no matter which side I take on this matter, so I certainly don't mind it if women want to run around in their undies, but it's important to understand that it does encourage certain behavior in bad and good men alike.

Not sure what you mean about the man rape stuff, I don't know how men dress in other areas but they don't dress with a lot of skin showing where I live. I'm not really attracted to men either though so I suppose I'm not the best judge of whether a man dresses provocatively or not. I don't think I've ever heard of many cases of a man being raped either, not that it doesn't happen, but I've never heard of a case of it myself.

Not sure what you mean about the man rape stuff, I don't know how men dress in other areas but they don't dress with a lot of skin showing where I live. I'm not really attracted to men either though so I suppose I'm not the best judge of whether a man dresses provocatively or not. I don't think I've ever heard of many cases of a man being raped either, not that it doesn't happen, but I've never heard of a case of it myself.

I'm a man to so I don't really know what is considered provocative male clothing but I was just using that as an example that women want to have the same rights as men

A man being raped by a women does happen but usually no one takes it that seriously just look at this case

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14499056/ns/dateline_nbc/t/crossing-line/

Edited by fire_storm

I'm a man to so I don't really know what is considered provocative male clothing but I was just using that as an example that women want to have the same rights as men

A man being raped by a women does happen but usually no one takes it that seriously just look at this case

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14499056/ns/dateline_nbc/t/crossing-line/

I see what you meant now, and I agree, I think equal rights is important.

Not sure what say about that link though, it's a good example in some ways but at the same time it's more what seems to be child rather than man, technically speaking it was boy really. I think an adult male rape would be treated extremely differently from a child male rape, I don't think rape is treated as seriously if it's an adult male as opposed to a child or adult female. That's just what I thought you meant when you said men getting raped, adult male is what comes to mind.