Intel's 3d chip

And then Bulldozer rocks your world.

Honestly, who can say? It sounds nice, but Intel is gonna make it sound nice. Just like nVidia or AMD is going to make a big fuss about how sweet their next batch of silicon is going to be... Intel is just trying to get people hyped while the honeymoon period with Sandy Bridge is fresh on our minds.

In June you could be seeing things very differently, c'est la vie.

After reading into this further, I will backtrack a little bit by saying this looks very promising. However, just because Intel is the first to talk about it doesn't mean AMD and ARM aren't totally unaware or have nothing to respond with. Intel has always been at the front of the pack in high-end performance (though this promises to affect users across the board if its true).

I'm excited to see what comes of this. If they are seriously getting that kind of performance, I think the real burden is going to be on software designers to make us actually able to make use of that kind of power. If they do, I'll be one of the first in line to upgrade.

Hmm,, the transistor path is shaped like a U rail <inverted and squared>with three transistors at every gate. Those guys having the discussion at the website are saying that the performance improvement should be that good with just the shift to 22nm, but the intent of the article at least in my view is only considering the performance potential of the new design, NOT including the shift to 22nm, which should add an additional bonus. Either way, this is awesome news.

Edited by Kwok

so when will this be implemented? amd will probably do this aswell... maybe everybody? people who say the transition to a smaller die thing are sorta dopes? cause all it does is make the die smaller and cooler and more efficient...

Edited by Dan The Gamer

@ Dan the Gamer: The article says that Intel is going to implement this architecture with Ivy Bridge sometime in 2012. The Ivy Bridge was already scheduled to be 22nm, the real development is the addition of the 'fin' structures.

@ Kwok: The way they make it sound, this technology only exists on their 22nm process. Therefore, when they talk about its performance gains they must be including the gains that a 22nm process already would entail. Still, the gains are considerable. A 22nm process would NOT expect to double performance, halve the power required (while being more efficient in doing so), and on top of all that cost less. Those are some seriously bold claims that could be ground breaking.

Doesn't mean the other companies aren't onto the same track (or investing in their own innovations).

There is always the chance that production doesn't go as planned, and this doesn't see the light of day for another 2-3 years while Intel cries all the way to the bank with their already sufficient market share.

Well, the article does talk about the other companies also researching in this. It's only because Intel is the first one to mass produce it.

@Medbor----- :D .....that was amazing man. Talk about Geek Speek and their Heros. I even opened up a couple more of those short chats.

They can simulate a prototype of a memristor chip that will include the logic and memory equivalent to a Cat's Brain. The actual physical parameters are achievable now and so they say they want to get this type of Logic out into the commercial market within the next few years.

Really amazing... a 4 dimensional chip.

Edited by Kwok