Overclocking wall?

I have a Phenom 2 B55 @ 3.8ghz

I cannot go beyond that, not with the multi or the base clock

I have a hyper 212+ (w/ push-pull coolermaster blademasters and ICDiamond thermal paste) max @ 52c load with prime95

I would like to try to reach 4ghz for benchmarking or at least break 3.8ghz

System:

Phenom 2 B55 @3,8ghz

ASUS M4N75TD 750i sli

8gb (4x2gb) Corsair XMS3 @1600 7-8-7-22

ASUS GTX 460 768mb

Corsair 750TX

30gb OCZ Vertex SSD boot

2x Samsung 500gb spanned

Fractal R3 case

6x Scythe slipstreams (1900rpm model) on fan controller

Well @ 52 or better Celsius your going to run into the heat wall soon so be careful.

What are the system voltages and what exact chip model is it? I.E. Phenom II x4 955BE C2 or C3 stepping??

What are the system voltages and what exact chip model is it? I.E. Phenom II x4 955BE C2 or C3 stepping??

I'm guessing he has a Phenom II X2 555 BE (which I'm pretty sure is a C3 stepping).

OP - what core voltage are you using? Have you tried upping the CPU NB voltage? It helped me stabilize BluePanda's X3 720 at high speeds.

Think of overclocking as tuning a radio. Get close to a frequency that works and tune into it. You'll be experimenting with different voltages, frequencies and timings, every system is a little bit different. Try researching on other forums for some baseline settings to get started. Do a lot of research on what has worked for others and base your settings on that, keeping in mind that your system will deviate slightly. In order to be able to isolate different components, overclock them separately.

I currently run at 1.45v but even if i push it to 1.525v, still no luck.

It is a Phenom 2 x2 555 BE with the c3 stepping that unlocked to a Quad, fully stable, except that core 2 shows a temp of -38c and core 3 show -128c, made me laugh when I saw it.

I have not try the northbridge voltage yet because I'm not sure what it defaults to so I have left it to auto ( I know, bad bad bad).

The only thing I have noticed is that my ram is very intolerant to running out of spec, which might be my issue.

@juicyonline: I picked it up at Microcenter in Yonkers, NY at the grand opening sale for $70 last November, early birthday present to myself, made me get the rest of my rig.

What is your NB frequency in CPU-z showing. In fact if you could post a nice screen shot of CPU-z that would help us determine whats going on or if you are tapped out.

Here you go.

My base clock is set at 200mhz

I noticed that my base frequency varies between 199mhz and 204mhz, this struck me as odd.

Should I be concerned?

Untitled.png

Edited by look4cego

The temps show inaccurate readings whenever ACC is enabled, the main CPU probe sensor should still read ok.

I'd say the odd busspeed readings may be caused by ACC as well?? If they are right, that is most likely the cause of your instability. Have you tried bumping the multiplier one or two clicks higher to 19.5 or 20?? sometimes certain multiplier numbers are just jerks

I have NCC on my chipset, nForce 750a, but it works the same, but I will try the multi though if that is the case.

Edited by look4cego