Its Time

HarryTaco

Been Having BSOD's now when gaming... getting more frequent. My system is in my Sig and its 6 years old now... time for an upgrade.

These parts are basically what I need to get a new Rig up and running. Some items missing cuz I have extras that will do such as sound and keyboard.

Im looking for opinions on any items or stuff that YOU might do different. Im not a big Ram geek, but I do know how to tune. I looked at all the 500 series Nvidia and decided the new 560 was the best bang for de buck. I can get another later if needed. Havent decided between Win7 Pro or Ultimate.. any ops here are appreciated.

Will most likely get a Noctua cooler just not sure which one. Does the case Im using make a diff in choice of CPU Coolers, East/West or a C type?

2 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Edit: Now going with the Ripjaws X series 8gb.

1 MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

1 LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support

1 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Return 1

1 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit 1-Pack

1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 GIGABYTE GM-M6980 Black Tilt Wheel USB Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

1 Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

1 VisionTek Bigfoot Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card

1 COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

1 HT | OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

1 COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior

1 Asus VK278Q Black 27" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Webcam

Edited by Kwok

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of that looks real solid. I'm currently running this kit of G.Skills, highly recommend it.

Personally I'd just stick with Win 7 Pro, unless there is some feature of Ultimate you really like, Pro is the better option imo.

Good choice on the sound card, should serve you well.

As for the cooler, the HAF 932 lets you fit virtually any tower-style cooler you could want to run. Any of the Noctuas would work for you.

All of that looks real solid. I'm currently running this kit of G.Skills, highly recommend it.

Personally I'd just stick with Win 7 Pro, unless there is some feature of Ultimate you really like, Pro is the better option imo.

Good choice on the sound card, should serve you well.

As for the cooler, the HAF 932 lets you fit virtually any tower-style cooler you could want to run. Any of the Noctuas would work for you.

Ima check into the Gskillz--maybe catch a review.

Ive used the Omega on a friends build sometime ago and the sound was impressive. Now its one for me.

Yeah i thought Pro would be enough... I will do some Networking. Just an extra Rig with a Router, nothing complicated.

Edited by Kwok

I would say check our review of the P67 memory kits but we just had the 2133MHz G.Skills Ripjaws X, not the 1600. I haven't had any issues with mine though, have it at 1600 and 9-9-9-24 1T since I got it a few months ago. Haven't tried to tweak the timings any just because I've been buried with school work, but my finals are nearly over so I could give them a whirl if you're so inclined.

The kit Bubba has for sale is also a good performer if you want to save some money. I ran similar sticks until I got the G.Skills, never an issue with that either.

I would say check our review of the P67 memory kits but we just had the 2133MHz G.Skills Ripjaws X, not the 1600. I haven't had any issues with mine though, have it at 1600 and 9-9-9-24 1T since I got it a few months ago. Haven't tried to tweak the timings any just because I've been buried with school work, but my finals are nearly over so I could give them a whirl if you're so inclined.

The kit Bubba has for sale is also a good performer if you want to save some money. I ran similar sticks until I got the G.Skills, never an issue with that either.

Yah, I read the Memory review today infact...have to read again to see if they are 4g or 8g.

I kinda thought Ram would be a Jungle, fortunately its a good jungle heh.

EDIT: Wow, just linked your Ram...8gs, great specs, and a Tester Recomendation, all for only $99...thats $20 saved right there... thx Man hehe.

@Rocketeer,

Yeah the reason for that is so I dont have to end up buying another Power Unit down the road, if I want to upgrade say my Video to a Pair of 570s or 580s. I mean I know I wont be maxing it out or anything, but for the money $229 it seems a bargain right now. You have a point.

Edited by Kwok

EDIT: Wow, just linked your Ram...8gs, great specs, and a Tester Recomendation, all for only $99...thats $20 saved right there... thx Man hehe.

That's what I thought when I got it. :lol: I snatched it on a deal for about the price it's at right now, definitely worth it. It should work out just fine for you, happy to help.

If you want to run SLI, currently an Intel 1155 is the best bet. If you can wait a little longer, AMD's Bulldozer parts will be out which the 990FX, 990X, and 970 motherboards will support SLI and Crossfire. However, those won't be out for a while longer still so I don't know how eager you are to upgrade.

That's what I thought when I got it. :lol: I snatched it on a deal for about the price it's at right now, definitely worth it. It should work out just fine for you, happy to help.

If you want to run SLI, currently an Intel 1155 is the best bet. If you can wait a little longer, AMD's Bulldozer parts will be out which the 990FX, 990X, and 970 motherboards will support SLI and Crossfire. However, those won't be out for a while longer still so I don't know how eager you are to upgrade.

Yes, thx again. Personal Life been hectic lately I forgot about Bulldozer and I just read someone says the new 2011 pin coming in June.

I can websurf but when stressing and things are heating up Its dying. I dont want to invest in this old system now but I guess I could wait a month and see if things really happen or not.

Last I heard the socket 2011 parts wouldn't be out until the third/fourth quarter of this year. Bulldozer will be out in June I believe.

Well after having some chat and doing some additional research, my shopping list has changed up some, for the better I think.

1 LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

1 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

1 GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N560SO-1GI-950 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi)

1 LG Black 12X Blu-ray Burner -

1 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Return 1

1 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit 1-Pack

1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 GIGABYTE GM-M6980 Black Tilt Wheel USB Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

1 Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

1 VisionTek Bigfoot Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card

1 COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD

<overkill but a decent pricepoint and insurance for the future>

1 HT | OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card <used in a friends build, liked it>

1 Asus VK278Q Black 27" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Webcam

Dude, drop the 1200w PSU. Its seriously wasting your money. Theres no 'insurance for the future' by getting a bigger PSU. Its going to work the same for you as a cheaper 750w 80+ silver unit. You could get one of those for $100-120. Can you get that CM 1200w for that kind of money?

You don't need it, you won't use it, don't pay for it. Thats my motto.