I can could smell something burning in my computer....

I was just browsing the web and working in photoshop and suddenly I got a whiff of something burning in my computer... so i turned it off right away. files weren't saved... =(

I opened up the side and turned it back and I could not located where the smell came from. I check all the fans and all of em where working. CPU PSU and GPU's fans all work fine... all hard drives are operational and cd drive still works.

I think its my PSU that was producing the smell but I'm not sure. The smell is now gone... Im stumped and Im stuck having to redo everything I was just working on... -.-

Help meh out please...

it happend to me and it was the psu, i shrugged it off and a couple weeks later it burst in flames, and destoryed my mobo with it. so if its anything like what happend to me id replace your psu

it happend to me and it was the psu, i shrugged it off and a couple weeks later it burst in flames, and destoryed my mobo with it. so if its anything like what happend to me id replace your psu

Jeez.. I guess i need to remove it then huh? right away.. damit my other PSU thats a 600w is pretty far away from here thou... sigh.. I need to finish this project too.. perfect timing. FML...

maybe there is a way to health test a psu, do you have a digital multi meter?

digital multi meter? I dont believe I do. Shucks... If only I didnt move my old PC back to my old house.

You think it'll hurt if I just use it for a few more hours?

Do you have an old build you can stick it in? If you do, stick it in and run OCCT. Then if it is going to burst into flames it probably will, no waiting weeks with it hanging over your head.

Something similar happened to me once and it turned out Dad had turned on the heat for the first time in over 6 months. All the dust on the heating coils burned, making a god-awful smell.

I was lucky though, you probably won't be. XD

So.. should I take the risk and keep on using it or go ahead and run OCCT and see if it'll "Burst into Flames"?

I really hope it doesnt do that.... -.-

Personally i would run occt, just in a rig you wont miss so much if it goes up and takes the whole rig with it.

Is it extremely dirty/ dusty inside? If so it could be some dust getting heated, same like above with the heater being turned on... or was it a straight electrical fire smell?

I think I remember something happening the last time I smelled a burning smell near my computer - it promptly burst into flames. :D