El_Capitan

Internet from a Power Outlet

I just saw this and found it interesting. Has anyone tried it, yet? What do you think?

This has been out for a long time actually. Atleast a couple years now. It works about effectively as wireless lol. It fluctuates alot and never really reaches the supposed max speeds.

Benefit though, is in an area with very strong wireless interference, it can be a life saver. Ive only ever used one, awhile ago, about 2 years. Maybe the techs gotten better?

This has been around for quite awhile, it works if you need connection to a remote location in your house, don't already have WiFi (or its too far) and/or don't want to run any CAT cable.

I believe it is slower than Ethernet and Wifi both as well.

Dang, you guys make me feel like someone who just figured out how what Facebook was. :pfp:

Dang, you guys make me feel like someone who just figured out how what Facebook was. :pfp:

Don't feel bad, I've never heard of it either :P

Thats because you a noob Capi... one day you will get used to it though. rofl.gif

we used to have a member that used it but that has been a while back as in atleast 3 years but its been talked about here since 02 lol

I've seen similar ones at Best Buy for a while. Always seem like a good idea but in practice the speeds aren't super great, like the others have said. It could be of use for some people if your house has WiFi dead zones or you just don't want to run wires everywhere.

The company I work for has tried this(we do networking in high-end homes). They refuse to use it. It is very slow and unreliable. Thats all I have to say on it.

I hate it and I don't even have it. My friend that I play on Xbox Live with has it and it's fine most of the time, but sometimes it will lag and kick us out of a game. And its usually when I'm on a Killstreak.

What's facebook?

Power line Ethernet has been around for a while know the newer adapters are a lot better then the older ones but still have there problems and cost a lot more then wireless

I would only consider using Power line Ethernet as a last resort like if WiFi didn't work well in the location your trying to setup a network in