SETI shut down

phil69

sooo besides the point that we won't find anything. the new fighter jets cost 1 billion each yet to keep seti running for a year only cost 1.5million. soo the government cut seti to build .0015 of a plane (5 bolts and screws), am i correct?

• 1 month later...

I think it just comes down to progress. What has SETI done to improve our understanding thus far?

A new plane advances technology. While what does SETI do?

Mankind has been trying to get hold of aliens for 60 years or so, and no improvement has been made so far.

Maybe those 1.5mil could be used somewhere better. Not saying they should be used on the planes.

I think it just comes down to progress. What has SETI done to improve our understanding thus far?

A new plane advances technology. While what does SETI do?

First look at the THOUSANDS of projects out there that the government funds. 95% of them are useless in any way, stuff like does a woman become angree if the husband cheats studies. While SETA might not have a directe contributation at this time it can be argued at least that it plays a role in national defense. The ability to potentially know in advance if others are out there could give us a chance to be ready for an encounter.

From what I read the group of satellites that got shut down were put there and funded by some guy from Microsoft.

Or they were at least named after a guy from MS. I think MS should keep funding the project or funding that array anyways.

I also read while it is currently shutdown they have hopes that in a year or two it will be back online.

The problem with SETI is the galaxy seems infinite and we only have so many satellites. The chances of a satellite being pointed in the correct spot in space and the moment that something is being broadcasted is like you winning the lotto.

While the chances are low, our satellite arrays have heard sounds that were never replicated and I feel it is a shame to stop the search.