My Brother receives 2nd Full Face Transplant in US

Speedway

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is some story, Thanks for sharing it. I hope your brother has a speedy recovery.

+1.

Wait.. doesn;t transplant normally mean taken from one person and given to another? So what happens to whoever donated the face? :mellow:

+1.

Wait.. doesn;t transplant normally mean taken from one person and given to another? So what happens to whoever donated the face? :mellow:

I think you already know that answer....

I think you already know that answer....

He loses his face? ? :dunno:

Doesn't that defeat the point of the operation, ruin one persons face to fix anothers? I thought maybe it was some kind of fancy plastic surgery and they were just calling it a transplant.

SC - You've totally flipped your noggin!

The transplant comes from a donor that isn't alive anymore.................

Just like when someone dies and they donate a heart, kidney, lung, tissue, eyes etc. Same thing, only on a much larger scale.

Wow, the advancements in modern medicine are amazing! I am happy for your brother and your family, and I hope all goes better than expected in the future!

He loses his face? ? :dunno:

Doesn't that defeat the point of the operation, ruin one persons face to fix anothers? I thought maybe it was some kind of fancy plastic surgery and they were just calling it a transplant.

Epic Fail Speed......Epic........... :pfp: The donor has passed away and graciously donated his face/organs

Thank You everyone for the kind words :cheers:

As of right now the hospital isn't releasing any pictures, so I am not allowed to post any. Once they give permission, I will post some pics up! I can say that I am still in shock on how well everything turned out and as the swelling goes down he looks more and more like my little brother! The reason why he was such a great candidate was the fact that all of the bone structure in his face was still intact! So even though he has a new face, it will mold around his bone structure, which means he will still resemble himself before the sccident. Which is probably one of the things that I like most about the procedure!

When it comes to organ donation, it is a little deeper with a face. Even if you have decided to be an organ donor, with a face, the family still has to give consent. I am very grateful for their decision, although I know it must have been a hard one! I know I can't read their statement w/o breaking into tears everytime. So I strongly urge everyone to be a donor, because once we are gone, we don't need to take anything with us! But, as a donor you do have a chance to positively impact someone else's life when yours is no longer :thumbsup:

That's great news, I don't think I'd be as badass as to handle 8 kilovolts, your brother is a tank! I'm glad he was given another chance after the accident and I eagerly await the results of this epic procedure! :thumbsup: