HD 4870 512mb to HD 6850

00stevo

Hi all,after going off pc gaming for a while i want to get a new DX11 card in preparation for Dirt 3.Im looking at his card here http://www.ebuyer.com/product/244473 So like i say,will i see a nice performance increase/ I dont care about AA but i do like some AF.Res is 1080p,thanks.

I suppose a 6850 would work, but i have my doubts it will be capable of playing Dirt 3 on high/maxed in game settings. But then again i havent done any research on the upcoming game so im not totally sure. Otherwise a 4870 -> 6850 would be a decently solid upgrade.

If going by Dirt 2 benchmarks, Nvidia graphics cards have always performed better than AMD graphics cards in Dirt 2:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/10/22/ati-radeon-hd-6850-review/5

I would assume it would be the same for Dirt 3.

At any rate, yes, the 6850 will definitely give you a boost over the 4870:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112961

My old 5770 managed 30FPS average on Dirt 2 at 1080p max settings no aa so Dirt 3 should be similar. The 6850 would be a good upgrade but I'd get a good 6870 and oc it .

Heres my previous 6870 overclocked Dirt 2 result at max aa , af and max settings at 1080p :

77.9FPS is very very good :biggrin:

Could you maybe spare the cash for a 6870 and oc it . Thats what I would get since its more futureproof for you since it would give you 60+ FPS in many games.

Thanks guys,i'll have a look about for some deals,but the 6850 caught my eye,its price looks appealing.I'll keep an eye out though!

That why I bought mine. Got it for $140 (that with shipping) on eBay brand new.

Well did a bit of searching and i can get a GTX 460 1gb for the same price.I know they perform practically the same but what would you choose?

Well if you plan on overclocking the card... Get a GTX460 1GB

If you plan on keeping things at stock... Get a HD 6850 1GB.

If you think you might overclock one day, but not right away... Get a GTX460 1GB.

If you think you might one day get another card for xfire or SLI... Its a Tie, both the 460 and 6850 scale extremely well in xfire and SLI. So its a tough call there.

If you're looking to overclock AND xfire or SLI, the GTX 460 1GB will perform and scale right with the HD 6870, if not better. It really depends on the games and benchmarks. At any rate, the best price you can find between the GTX 460 or HD 6850/6970's is the better deal. They are both practically the same in performance when overclocked, but if you're keeping them at stock, like merc said, go with the HD 6850/6870's. However, if it were up to me, I'd pick the GTX 460 1GB over the HD 6850, but pick the HD 6870 over the GTX 460 1GB... unless I was going to overclock and SLI/Xfire... then the GTX 460 1GB's, of course. ;)

This is what you could end up getting for FPS in Dirt2 with two overclocked GTX 460 1GB's in SLI (watercooled and voltage unlocked):

142.8 Average FPS, 112.9 Minimum FPS @ 1920 x 1200 at highest settings with 8xAA and 16xAF

post-70939-13038528371546_thumb.png

Compare it to the review here (HD 6870's in Crossfire at Stock = 122 FPS Average with the same settings):

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-crossfirex-review/9