Your first car.

GabrielT

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow....

Reading all these cars you guys had in "high school" (Thats at like 16-18 right?) makes me wonder, do you guys need insurance? Or is it just real cheap over in the states?

Here in the UK, at age 17 (earliest you can have your license here) you would be LUCKY to get a car with a 1.0L engine insured for less than twice the cost of the car. If you tried to insure a car here at 17 with a 4.0L engine, you need a mortgage. Hell, there is articles here in the paper about 17 year olds being quoted £22,000 to be insured on an Opel Corsa with a 1.2L engine!!

The thing is insurance is really cheap here. There is a thing called liability insurance that only covers damage to the other persons vehicle in case of an accident. If you mess up your car and it's your fault it stays messed up basically.

Full coverage is really pricy for a 16 year old. Most kids just drive under their parents insurance too.

All this being said a 5.0 V8 car like my first ride isn't exactly fast so my insurance was $110 a month when I was 16. I'm not sure why insurance is so cheap in the states. My motorcycle costs me like $85 a year lol.

I got lucky and was given a broken 1968 Mustang. Spent my entire summer between Junior and Senior year working and fixing it (replaced crankshaft, main/rod bearings, gaskets, etc.) It eventually was a really nice Baby Blue Mustang. Nothing fancy, pretty much stock, but it was nice.

1992 Geo Storm followed by a 5.0L Mustang lol

My second car was a 1991 Geo Storm GSi!! I was even on the GSOP (Geo Storm Owners Page)!!

My second car was a 1991 Geo Storm GSi!! I was even on the GSOP (Geo Storm Owners Page)!!

Those Gsi's made pretty great power and were pretty light, did you have many issues with it?? Any good stories?? I know the throttlebody fits on the first and second generation s-series, sadly it doesn't fit on my third generation

Those Gsi's made pretty great power and were pretty light, did you have many issues with it?? Any good stories?? I know the throttlebody fits on the first and second generation s-series, sadly it doesn't fit on my third generation

No problems really. Mine was lowered (maybe 3 inch clearance), Supra style wing, tinted all around, PaceSetter Headers, modified Honda intake (basically hacked in half), clear corners, disabled the flip headlights (you could still get good lighting), custom Mandrel bent MagnaFlow exhaust, nice stereo (forgot what I had) and a few cosmetic things (interior pieces painted white, etc.). It was getting to around 150,000 miles, I just replaced the starter and front axles and I was going to college at the time so I sold it and got a brand new Kia Sephia (dumb choice) so I would have a more reliable car. It was a peppy little car. Definitely stood out from all the Civics at the time (1999).

No good stories. I swear that thing could make a 90 degree turn at any speed though! :woot:

I just got my first car actualy, a 2000 Mustang V6 3.8L manual. Saved for a half a year (with my first job haha) and bought it 2 months ago. Its my baby, when i first got it the paint was in really bad shape but the engine was in awesome condition. Luckily for my birthday both my dad (he paid) and my uncle (did the sanding, painting etc) gave it a brand new paint job.

-Did my very first burnout in it :thumbsup:

-Learned to drive standard (already knew how to drive automatic)

-Smoked my Co-workers 1999 Eclipse Spyder the first day i got it

DSCN4346.jpg

DSCN4347.jpg

DSCN4348.jpg

This how it looked before i got it painted:

IMG_0430.jpg

Wow....

Reading all these cars you guys had in "high school" (Thats at like 16-18 right?) makes me wonder, do you guys need insurance? Or is it just real cheap over in the states?

Here in the UK, at age 17 (earliest you can have your license here) you would be LUCKY to get a car with a 1.0L engine insured for less than twice the cost of the car. If you tried to insure a car here at 17 with a 4.0L engine, you need a mortgage. Hell, there is articles here in the paper about 17 year olds being quoted £22,000 to be insured on an Opel Corsa with a 1.2L engine!!

Anyways, my first and current car is a 2001 Ford Mondeo 2.0 LX.

Had it nearly 2 years, and so far its been running great. :)

Not really done anything on the scale of what people have posted here!

Changing the battery is about as adventurous as it gets!

UK Population: 59 Million

US Population: 310 Million

Lots more drivers helps to spread out the cost, ideally. I do believe that most insurance companies still use IIHS Symbol ratings to determine coverage in the US. And as my uncle is an insurance salesman, I do wish to correct Gabriel. Liability coverage is the minimum required insurance in the US for the most part, and only covers injuries to other individuals that you're at fault for. However, given that males under the age of 25 are statistically high risk, anything other than liability on most cars is outrageous, and all it takes is one screw up to wind up paying through the nose. I'm 20 with a 2007 Cobalt LS with a 2.2L engine, full coverage for me with $1,000 deductibles on collision and comprehensive is $220 a month. $100 of that is collision insurance because I was ticketed last year for 35 MPH in a 25 MPH zone (I was doing 52 MPH, but that's a different story for a different day and different off topic post).

To get back on topic, after my first car came my 1988 Grand Marquis. That thing instilled nothing but dislike for Ford in me. Overdrive failed, leaked coolant like a sieve, and the thermostat became plugged from the radiator stop leak.