x58 and i7990x liquid cooling

Im currently in the middle of my first liquid cooled build and was wondering if anyone could help me out with how much heat dissapation i should look at for my cooling system for both mosfet banks nb/sb and the cpu. running a p6x58d premium mobo

You can never have a big enough rad. :biggrin:

Minimal to cool your CPU is a small 120.1 rad with 2 fans.

Now that size with a 130w CPU and a MB that will put out about 80w total of heat, it will cool it but your temps will be high. So

Get a big 120.3 rad mount it on the top of your case or external and you will be good.

Overclocked or stock ? :P Who buys a 990x and keeps it stock lol :lol:

I think a 120.3 should cool everything well . A 120.3 double thick rad like a RX360 would be the best

I'd go with at least a 360MM radiator, or a 280MM if your case can support 140MM fans. The EK XT, Phoyba G-Changer, and XSPC RX series are all very good and will cool your chip and motherboard quite well. The biggest question is how much room you have and what do you see adding in the future? Do you plan to cool your video card(s)?

My 990X is cooled with the following:

- EK 360 XT Radiator (CPU / Mobo)

- EK Supreme HF CPU Block

- EK x58 Classified Block

- EK 240 XT Radiator (GPU)

- (2) EK 6990 FC GPU Blocks

- Dual MCP35x Pumps

- 1/2" ID Tubing

- Bitspower Compression fittings

Edited by Nuclear

• 4 weeks later...

yes i do plan on cooling my gpu's as well but that will be later. as for the case im using a thermaltake swordm so im limited with space which is the most frustrating part with this build. turns out i can fit a 3x120mm rad in the bottom so what would you recommend for a rad? I was looking around and saw some brackets that would mount into your hard drive bay and you could mount a rad onto those but now i cant seem to remember where they were, anybody know where to find these. would help to conserve space alot on this build.

ill be using the following for my MB/cpu loop:

EK-FB ASUS X58 chipset

EK-MOSFET ASUS X58

koolance cpu-370

60mmx120mm res w/ pmp-450 pump

tygon 1/2'' tubing

koolance 1/2'' compression fittings

rad??

gpu loop:

x2 koolance VID-NX580

60mmx120mm res w/ pmp-450 pump

1/2'' compression fittings

tygon 1/2'' tubing

rad?

Edited by Sensei345

Cooling the mofset is totally worthless unless you plan on using dry ice or LN2. The voltages you will use even when overclocking will not need any more mofset cooling than any X58 board can handle. I do dry ice cooling and even at 5.5GHz I do not need any mofset cooling. Same thing with nortbridge. The passive heatsink cool the NB fine. Some like the asrhetics of mofset and NB cooling but it will have zero effect on 990.

The 2 rads to look at are the Thermalchill TA 120.3 trip 120 mm rad or a Black Ice 360. The number 1 Waterblock is the Swiftech Apogee XT. Revision 2 is better than revision 1 and is less restrictive. The Liang MCP355 has the most head pressure you decide to cool the mofset northbridge or both. The MCP 655 will handle 1 loop but the 355 will handle what you described.

Edited by Drdeath