Voltage Drop + LLC

Set voltage in BIOS to 1.4 v --> running this at 3.6 gHz

In Windows, HWMonitor reports VCORE as 1.39 (as max), when under load VCORE fluctuates between 1.36 to 1.38 constantly. This is set at auto LLC (51%).

Setting LLC to 19.5% leads to a measured max 1.47 Volts but when under load, it remains at a constant 1.38-9 V.

ATM, in the BIOS, with 38.6% LLC, VCORE's max is 1.392V but drops down to 1.376 V constantly and goes back up.

Should I just stick to 19.5% LLC?

24139grppic_2104324_PatrickStarFanclub.gif

This is what I felt like when I was reading this.

What exactly are you trying to do? How high of a OC do you want?

Your sig says stock so you must be OCing. Just keep the heat down and the speeds high!

Edited by Black6464

My frank recommendation would be to leave it at Auto (51%).

Some amount of vdroop is unavoidable - so I don't see the point/benefit of a huge overvolt @ 1.47 in order to maintain a vdroop under load of .01v

That's my 2 cents worth............... :)

I think HW monitor is measuring it wrong? Cuz when under load, (gaming) Vcore maintains a constant 1.39. But for some reason, max measured voltage is somehow 1.47...

Set voltage in BIOS to 1.4 v --> running this at 3.6 gHz

In Windows, HWMonitor reports VCORE as 1.39 (as max), when under load VCORE fluctuates between 1.36 to 1.38 constantly. This is set at auto LLC (51%).

Setting LLC to 19.5% leads to a measured max 1.47 Volts but when under load, it remains at a constant 1.38-9 V.

ATM, in the BIOS, with 38.6% LLC, VCORE's max is 1.392V but drops down to 1.376 V constantly and goes back up.

Should I just stick to 19.5% LLC?

Honestly unless the vdroop is causing instability I would not worry about it.

Is there a "Disable" option for LLC? That is what would limit the vdroop. Setting a percentage only adds to the idle voltage but it will still droop under load. Looks like the auto setting is working pretty well though -not muhc overvolting at idle and only ~.03 droop load, which is not too bad. 19.5% setting is a huge overvolt for only .02-.03 more under load, and not worth it.

Unfortunately, almost every board suffers from this, and it can't be fixed through BIOS or software settings. If you're really stubborn, and are comfortable with a soldering iron, you can hard-mod your mobo to remove it. Back in the day we had to hard mod mobos for RAM voltage and to prevent Vdroop, and graphics cards for Vcore and Vdimm - then also solder in leads for monitoring those voltages.