Valve 'Probably' Done with Single Player Games

Avinexis

http://uk.kotaku.com/5795355/valve-probably-done-with-single+player-games

The makers of such acclaimed single-player video games as Portal and Half-Life 2 want all of their future games to support connected, non-solo gaming, in some way, at all levels.

That assertion first appeared in the Final Hours of Portal 2, journalist Geoff Keighley's recent behind-the-scenes chronicle about Valve's newest game. It's an assertion he told me he heard directly from Valve founder Gabe Newell and the company's project manager Erik Johnson.

"Portal 2 will probably be Valve's last game with an isolated single-player experience," Keighley wrote in Final Hours, "What this all means is something Newell is still trying to figure out."

I really, really don't like the sound of this... :unsure: What do you guys think?

What I gather from it is that Valve will have some form of co-op in every game from here on out. I hope that is the case and that Half-Life 2: Ep 3 and Half-Life 3 still have a single player mode.. if those games even exist.

What I gather from it is that Valve will have some form of co-op in every game from here on out. I hope that is the case and that Half-Life 2: Ep 3 and Half-Life 3 still have a single player mode.. if those games even exist.

This is the thing. The quote implies "We're probably done with single player storytelling from here on out.", not "We'll probably include a multiplayer aspect in all of our future games." :unsure:

of course it could all be a misunderstanding on the part of the original journalist. The kotaku article is in reference to an article by another journalist, so he could have misinterpreted what Valve said.

Half life co op doesn't sound good to me. If they don't wanna make single player then it's their call. It's gonna be a real waste tho since they are the only ones that can deliver a decent story n stuff... On the other hand they make excellent multiplayer games so I don't mind either decision. As long as there's more half life...

Edited by sack_patrol

Try Synergy. It's fun as hell.

That's a mod. I'm fine with that. I just don't want them adding multiplayer to a game that has been a single player for like 10 years.

Why? Well because it subtracts from the overall feel of the game. 'The ONE Free Man' yes? The game gives an impression that you are the only human on earth with such power and Gordon's actions through out the series has shown that. It also gives a sense of loneliness, despair and forsakenness (to say the least). I think that the presence of another player will 'break' the atmosphere of the game.