Which P67 board? ASUS Deluxe or Gigabyte UD5

hey guys,

title says it all, these are the two boards ive narrowed it down to, i wont be considering any other boards so if you could please tell me the main differences, your preference, and why. please keep in mind that im completely new to overclocking, just incase that makes a difference on which board is better for me. i plan to use it with an i5-2500k.

thanks! :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need a top-end board with an i5-2500k. You'd get better performance spending $90 more with an i7-2600k and a $140 motherboard than a i5-2500k and a $230 motherboard. There's some decent boards out there in the $140 - $170 range.

You don't need a top-end board with an i5-2500k. You'd get better performance spending $90 more with an i7-2600k and a $140 motherboard than a i5-2500k and a $230 motherboard. There's some decent boards out there in the $140 - $170 range.

:withstupid: :withstupid:

:withstupid: :withstupid:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! well for gaming the benefits of 2600k are rendered completely useless and i wont be doing any hardcore video editting or anything. ive got my mind set on these two boards so i just need some advice on which of the two

Then get the ASUS Deluxe. You get two more 6GB SATA ports that aren't Marvell (makes for better SATA III performance). Unless you want to run tri-SLI or tri-Fire, get the Gigabyte.

never gonna run tri anything....i might dual sli though later. the two extra 6GB SATA ports on the asus arent marvel? i didnt know that...hrrrmmmmm

i just read that Sata III and Sata II drives have virtually no difference in speed, so is there a point in the extra ports? is this actually true? will this change before i have to buy a new motherboard in the next 3-4 years?

SATA III SSD's will have limited performance in SATA II. HDD's will have no difference because no HDD will ever perform over the limitations that SATA II provides. SATA III SSD's perform better using the P67 controller as opposed to the Marvell controller (I'm not 100%).

SATA III SSD's will have limited performance in SATA II. HDD's will have no difference because no HDD will ever perform over the limitations that SATA II provides. SATA III SSD's perform better using the P67 controller as opposed to the Marvell controller (I'm not 100%).

oh ok so if i never plan on having more than 2 SSD's the SATA III ports should make no difference to me? HDDs will NEVER surpass sata II? cause if thats the case i guess i dont need to worry at all about the 2 extra slots :s

just checked ncix and the asus website it says the asus one also has only 2 6gb ports while the other 2 are also marvell

edit: sorry read the specs wrong it was saying theres a combo esata and sata port under marvell not two extra 6gb sata ports, my bad haha.

Edited by jdhatt

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! well for gaming the benefits of 2600k are rendered completely useless and i wont be doing any hardcore video editting or anything. ive got my mind set on these two boards so i just need some advice on which of the two

totally agree

Then get the ASUS Deluxe. You get two more 6GB SATA ports that aren't Marvell (makes for better SATA III performance). Unless you want to run tri-SLI or tri-Fire, get the Gigabyte.

Add to That The Bluetooth which is so useful and comfy :D + EFI Bios i say get this board..but i believe that the P67 sabertooth is cheaper and as powerful or even more powerful than the deluxe. thats is my opinion

and that is the replacement for my current board. the only thing that i think may be a give you headache in the Sabertooth is that the armor can get in the way of an after market cooler, you need to check on that just to be sure.

Edited by N.E.A

totally agree

Add to That The Bluetooth which is so useful and comfy :D + EFI Bios i say get this board..but i believe that the P67 sabertooth is cheaper and as powerful or even more powerful than the deluxe. thats is my opinion

and that is the replacement for my current board. the only thing that i think may be a give you headache in the Sabertooth is that the armor can get in the way of an after market cooler, you need to check on that just to be sure.

ok just checked out some vids of the EFI Bios vs standard and EFI is pretty dam slick lol. for a noob like me whos never overclocked and looking to build his first system i really couldnt ask for anything better. despite the amazing looks of the gigabyte i think the asus board features have once again pushed me in that direction. the only thing of concern is the 2 extra power phases provided on the gigabyte, is this a big deal? also apparently gigabyte has the Ultra Durable 3 design to keep the board cool among other benefits, does asus do this as well or have something similar to this on their boards?