Which P67 board? ASUS Deluxe or Gigabyte UD5

I couldn't make my mind up when it came to my SB build, so I ordered a P8P67 Pro and GA-P67A-UD4. I'll sell which ever board I don't like and if I don't like both then I'll order a MSI GD65. The fancy BIOS doesn't mean anything to me, it's all about stability and having a good VRM system. All SB boards have bugs here and there, it's finding the one with the least bugs and largest amount of known fixes :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SATA III SSD's will have limited performance in SATA II. HDD's will have no difference because no HDD will ever perform over the limitations that SATA II provides. SATA III SSD's perform better using the P67 controller as opposed to the Marvell controller (I'm not 100%).

oh ok so if i never plan on having more than 2 SSD's the SATA III ports should make no difference to me? HDDs will NEVER surpass sata II? cause if thats the case i guess i dont need to worry at all about the 2 extra slots :s

here is one thing to think about, a SINGLE HDD will never surpass SATA2 capabilities. but, if you run 2 drives in RAID0 on SATA3 you will definitely see a huge difference between putting that same RAID on a SATA2 controller. you will get about an extra 100-200 mb/s read speed, write speed will only increase slightly

i wish i had the screenshots to give hard evidence. but this is a problem i just had with my mobo. wish i had another sata 3 controller LOL

@Wevsspot

I agree that budget is a big component of what parts are available, but in some cases you could be overspending on one component which is trading off with a different one. In some cases, that other component might actually see significant benefit from a $50-$100 increase (like a SSD over a regular platter drive, better GPU, peripheral upgrade, or... you know, buying games themselves).

I was only putting it out there that the OP could safely get away with spending less. As long as he knows that these models' price premiums aren't always representative of their true increase in features/performance, I hold my peace :D

The SATA issue is only an issue depending on your desired hard drive/optical drive setup. If you plan on having 1 or 2 optical drives (which use SATA II and definitely are wasted on SATA III), a couple hard drives... a regular hard drive will NEVER pass SATA II bandwidth limit, unless its in RAID... some SSDs can put SATA III to good use. Do you plan on spending the money for more than one SSD, along with a few traditional hard drives?

My point is, count up how many drives you will be using. If that number is at least a few below the number your board has, then I think the board will suit you fine. If it is just enough (or not enough), then obviously look at a board with more ports.

totally agree

Add to That The Bluetooth which is so useful and comfy :D + EFI Bios i say get this board..but i believe that the P67 sabertooth is cheaper and as powerful or even more powerful than the deluxe. thats is my opinion

and that is the replacement for my current board. the only thing that i think may be a give you headache in the Sabertooth is that the armor can get in the way of an after market cooler, you need to check on that just to be sure.

Gotta put my 2 bits in here man! An after market cooler is mandatory these days, in my opinion! So put on a water cooler block. Not everybody's cup of tea, but ... I have been running a cheap (Thermaltake) cpu cooler for 5 years.

The first 2 pumps gave up the ghost early on, but the current one has been running for about 3 years. I changed the water once. And I ran some CLR through the loop once to get rid of some visible gunk. Was gonna put in the spare pump then but this one was running so well I left it in. The pump is fairly quiet also. It is a T/T 500.

For those who want the Sabretooth, then I suggest water cooling the CPU.

Sorry to drag it out, but I've never heard of EFI bios. Can somebody explain it please? The only EFI I know about is Electronic Fuel Injection. Wrong EFI, I bet.

It's awesome, even for an Asus bios.

So far MSI, Asus, and Asrock are the only manufacturers that I know of that put UEFI on their boards. Gigabyte will probably be next, though who knows if it will be in this generation of boards.

I love my ASRock P67 Extreme4. Just a note, though: The Realtek LAN driver and a few other things on the board weren't recognized by Windows 7, so you have to install those using the driver CD, or by getting them beforehand. And don't just click "install all" on the driver CD. It installs a bunch of bloat onto your computer (Norton, some tuning tools, and ZYNGA Webpage shortcut that never goes away, no matter how much you delete it)

The UEFI BIOS is pretty easy to navigate, though certain aspects could be easier. Gave me a stable 4.5GHz OC on my 2500k after just disabling C1E, C3 and C6 (And power saver, but that's just a preference), and setting voltage to 1.32v.