Which P67 board? ASUS Deluxe or Gigabyte UD5

ok just checked out some vids of the EFI Bios vs standard and EFI is pretty dam slick lol. for a noob like me whos never overclocked and looking to build his first system i really couldnt ask for anything better. despite the amazing looks of the gigabyte i think the asus board features have once again pushed me in that direction. the only thing of concern is the 2 extra power phases provided on the gigabyte, is this a big deal? also apparently gigabyte has the Ultra Durable 3 design to keep the board cool among other benefits, does asus do this as well or have something similar to this on their boards?

the best selling point of the UD is that the boards thickness is doubled, since gigabyte announced that improvement and all manufacturers have doubled their boards' thickness. and i do not think it is a big deal...

there is a saying : "you can't have every thing, where would you put it? "

so you will sacrifice the extra power phases and you wont feel it at all. my board stays very cool it gets like 28 and the temp the room temp is like 23-25 c so i guess that this is pretty cool..

Edited by N.E.A

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha good thanks :) that makes me feel much better. so i decided to open my mind alittle and give other brands a look and i stumbled upon the Asrock Fatal1ty, which is the only Asrock board thats actually interested me in comparison to the deluxe, anyone have any idea how this compares to deluxe? i heard asrock is much more difficult to overclock and the heatsinks arent as good? is this true?

haha good thanks :) that makes me feel much better. so i decided to open my mind alittle and give other brands a look and i stumbled upon the Asrock Fatal1ty, which is the only Asrock board thats actually interested me in comparison to the deluxe, anyone have any idea how this compares to deluxe? i heard asrock is much more difficult to overclock and the heatsinks arent as good? is this true?

I'd consider some thing like, MSI GD65 or GD80 ..maybe EVGA when their boards get released.

i always Use this list :

Asus

EVGA

Gigabyte

MSI

any thing else

Edited by N.E.A

I'd consider some thing like, MSI GD65 or GD80 ..maybe EVGA when their boards get released.

i always Use this list :

Asus

EVGA

Gigabyte

MSI

any thing else

really? i thought gigabyte would be ahead of evga, i heard they are just hella overpriced and not reliable

really? i thought gigabyte would be ahead of evga, i heard they are just hella overpriced and not reliable

my list is sorted alphabetically :D you know ..A B C D E F G :D so Evga then Gigabyte

lol

to me, all of them are the same, the thing that differentiates them is price and features and availability of course :D

Edited by N.E.A

JD - I wouldn't have any problem recommending either of the two boards you were originally considering. Both are solid boards.

But I'll tell you - I've had a couple great experiences with ASRock boards too. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their boards to anyone.

Let me throw one more monkey wrench in your decision making process :)

If you are seriously considering the ASRock board - skip the Fatality version and consider this one instead;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157231

$30 bucks cheaper than the Fatality with the same exact feature set - and you can ditch all the stupid Fatality RaRa BS.

JD - I wouldn't have any problem recommending either of the two boards you were originally considering. Both are solid boards.

But I'll tell you - I've had a couple great experiences with ASRock boards too. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their boards to anyone.

Let me throw one more monkey wrench in your decision making process :)

If you are seriously considering the ASRock board - skip the Fatality version and consider this one instead;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157231

$30 bucks cheaper than the Fatality with the same exact feature set - and you can ditch all the stupid Fatality RaRa BS.

haha thanks for the advice, the fatal1ty face everywhere is alittle annoying. and i heard it shows up everytime on the bootup screen too!! its a pretty sweet looking board though. as of right now im on the asus deluxe unless theres something that can really blow me away

I've had good luck with Asus Deluxe version boards. They usually have a good to great feature set and are solid performers. The P6TD Deluxe board I had was one of the best boards I've ever used. It was solid - like a tank solid.

I've had good luck with Asus Deluxe version boards. They usually have a good to great feature set and are solid performers. The P6TD Deluxe board I had was one of the best boards I've ever used. It was solid - like a tank solid.

:D that definitely makes me 10x more confident about my decision. considering before the only thing dragging me towards the gigabyte was the looks, and the asrock has a solid feature set along with looks. but even ive always used asus and never really had a problem...im pretty confident about the decision as of now, especially after taking a look at the UEFI, along with the other little features that are incorporated :P

I think you're over spending on any of those boards for an 2500k and gaming.

I got my GD-55 for $145. It can crossfire, has all the ports I need, has an EFI BIOS, overclocks fine, solid build quality...

...but some people just feel safer if they spend more money. Like a Porsche never gets a flat tire?

LD - we've got to respect everyone's willingness to spend whatever budget they have on the components they want. For sure a $150 motherboard might perform just as well as a $200 motherboard - but how much money you are willing to spend is part of the decision making process, and certainly varies from one buyer to the next.

If someone gives me a list of four motherboards in the $300 price range and asks for my recommendation - then I pretty much understand that the buyer is in the market for a $300 motherboard. Not that it's the wrong thing or the right thing - it's just what they want to spend.

Your Gigabyte board is a dandy and you can't beat the price and feature set - but I could say that about a lot of socket 1155 motherboards in the same price range.

Well, my co-worker's build I'm doing will use my Sabertooth P67 (he's going the i5 2500k route... he just likes how the Sabertooth looks, :pfp: ). So I bought the GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD7-B3 for myself (an upgrade in case I want to do tri-SLI with another GTX 570, or just add in another Nvidia card as a dedicated PhysX card). I'll at least be able to compare it directly with the overclocks/voltages I had for my brother's build that used the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe using the same CPU (i7 2600k - though my overclocks using his i5 2500k and my i7 2600k are in the "Overclocking the i5 2500k / i7 2600k" link in my sig).