cannot create subdirectory in temporary directory

Interimo

Hello, peeps. While trying to install a program of mine, I keep getting this error message: 'cannot create subdirectory in temporary directory!' The only odd thing I'm noticing is that the windows media player icon appears in the taskbar. Any ideas on how to fix?

Edited by Interimo

What version of Windows are you using & have you tried moving the install file to a regular (made by you) directory?

Ah, sorry. Forgot to add that.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. And no, I haven't, as I didn't even know that was possible or how to do it. Info, plox?

Simple enough.

Create a new folder and place it on your desktop or even the root of C: drive or any other drive you have connected. Name the folder anything you want (i might suggest BF1943 :))

Now run the game installer, during the installation routine you should have the option to choose the installation path. You might have to choose "custom" or "advanced" installation - but I've seen very few installation applications where you can't choose your own installation path/file folder.

Simple enough.

Create a new folder and place it on your desktop or even the root of C: drive or any other drive you have connected. Name the folder anything you want (i might suggest BF1943 :))

Now run the game installer, during the installation routine you should have the option to choose the installation path. You might have to choose "custom" or "advanced" installation - but I've seen very few installation applications where you can't choose your own installation path/file folder.

It's one of those that won't let me choose the installation path, unfortunately. I double click it, and then the error message comes up...

Have you tried moving the Windows TEMP folder to another drive (like a storage or external drive) and see if that unlocks it?

I guess another option might be to try and take ownership of the TEMP folder.

Here's a cool tutorial I found a while back that has come in handy on a few occasions.

I apologize for the redirect - but don't want to plagiarize someone else's work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html

Yep, a flash drive would work.

You can modify Windows to move the temp folder to about wherever you want. I do it for my SSD - move the temp folder to a platter drive so it's not always pounding on my SSD.

If you need a tutorial I can throw one together tonight. If you need one earlier plenty can be found with just a simple google :)