New Member Incoming ~

KetchyKech

hello, just a standard introduction thread. I just built my first rig (sandy bridge i5 2500k) and this website is quite intriguing. Great site, look forward to posting ~ and learning :)

edit: oh here is my build for anyone thats wondering :P

Mobo: Asus P8p67

GPU: GTX 580 (asus dcii)

HDD: Raid 0 F3 1TB Samsung Spinpoint

Case: HAF X

CPU: i5 2500K (will OC in the very near future)

Cooler: Noctua DH-14 (love it)

PSU: Seasonic 750w Gold,Modular

RAM: G. Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 2x4gb

will upgrade lots as time progresses :) miles ahead my Core2Duo, 9800GT rig that i upgraded from =P

Edited by KetchyKech

Nice build! Personally i would have gone with the i7-2600k, but i can see the how saving the $100 would be nice!

Gotta let us know how the OC'in goes, should be good to go with that amazing cooler you got. Id say 4.3-4.5Ghz 24/7 is in your near future!

Welcome! Nah, if you're primarily gaming, the i5 2500k is best. You can also get anywherre from a 200MHz - 400MHz overclock higher than an i7 2600k and still be under the 1.35V intel recommended specs for CPU voltage.

I might have gone with two GTX 460/560/570's over a single GTX 580. So far two overclocked GTX 570's in SLI are just slightly, and I mean slightly, slower than two overclocked GTX 580's in SLI at a 1920 x 1080 resolution (the GTX 580's are obviously bottlenecked at that resolution).

Still, a mighty build!

Thank you, all! I was on a budget and got some help sniping deals (as well as choosing parts), so it was very affordable. yeah being primarily for gaming, I was advised to go i5 due to being able to clock higher than i7. Also i hear SLI is not w/o its faults though, so i opted for the single card config. Asus's dcii 580 stays super cool, though it is huge (takes up 3 slots). I'm currently using a very crappy dell monitor and looking to get on the 120hz desktop frame rate train soon....then probably SSD, then a bluray drive =P

thanks all for kind words, and if you have any suggestions for good monitors, throw them my way! thanks again