MercuryDoun

Duel: 1x GTX570(MercuryDoun) vs. 1x HD 6970(imm0rt41)

Not when you have a stock 1055t and ddr2 ram bottlenecking the 6970. Of course the 2600k and DDR3 mem with a flashed 6950 will beat his 6970

This.

I really went in to this duel to see how much I am being bottlenecked by the DDR2 and older chipset. So far, it looks like I could have beaten the i7 stock for stock with a different mobo and my DDR3 in here, but still the results were close which is what I was aiming for. This rig is more than enough for me at stock, so I needed an excuse to push it further :P

This.

I really went in to this duel to see how much I am being bottlenecked by the DDR2 and older chipset. So far, it looks like I could have beaten the i7 stock for stock with a different mobo and my DDR3 in here, but still the results were close which is what I was aiming for. This rig is more than enough for me at stock, so I needed an excuse to push it further :P

Well its not a competition of i7 vs x6... its GTX570 vs HD 6970. All of the tests we selected are pretty much GPU only tests. The 3dmarks test CPU, but we are effectively ignoring those scores as far the the duel is concerned. It would not have been nearly as close a battle of we counted CPU scores because i beat you in 3DMark11 p-score, your 6970 just put up a better graphics score than my 570. Weird though, that my 570 got so much higher GPU scores in vantage but then loses by alittle in 11? Oh well!

I cant wait to see what you pull out of your 6970! I pretty much know what my max is on my 570, so all i have to say is good luck, Your gonna need it! Also Ill be running my i7 at 4.4-4.5Ghz for SnG's I think im gonna try and move my score up in 3dMark11 alittle. Im not happy with Olo's old 480 still beating my 570, his 480 is truly beastly! So i figure if im gonna be benching anyways may as well go for the highest score i can get on 3dMark11 as well.

Not when you have a stock 1055t and ddr2 ram bottlenecking the 6970. Of course the 2600k and DDR3 mem with a flashed 6950 will beat his 6970

good point i retract my previous stament

good point i retract my previous stament

Lol, silly jdm...

When are you gonna jump on the duel bandwagon??

Well its not a competition of i7 vs x6... its GTX570 vs HD 6970. All of the tests we selected are pretty much GPU only tests. The 3dmarks test CPU, but we are effectively ignoring those scores as far the the duel is concerned. It would not have been nearly as close a battle of we counted CPU scores because i beat you in 3DMark11 p-score, your 6970 just put up a better graphics score than my 570. Weird though, that my 570 got so much higher GPU scores in vantage but then loses by alittle in 11? Oh well!

I cant wait to see what you pull out of your 6970! I pretty much know what my max is on my 570, so all i have to say is good luck, Your gonna need it! Also Ill be running my i7 at 4.4-4.5Ghz for SnG's I think im gonna try and move my score up in 3dMark11 alittle. Im not happy with Olo's old 480 still beating my 570, his 480 is truly beastly! So i figure if im gonna be benching anyways may as well go for the highest score i can get on 3dMark11 as well.

Oh don't get me wrong I wasn't looking for a CPU comparison, just was interested how much my CPU/RAM combo would bottleneck my GPU lol. Either way, I think it is safe to say we each have some beastly rigs for whatever we're gonna do on them :P

I hope i can get a good OC out of my card. I'm more worried about OCing the CPU since I haven't worked with a multi-core CPU before. I'm getting started on that tonight...hope to be at 3.4-3.6GHz tonight then go up from there haha

Lol, silly jdm...

When are you gonna jump on the duel bandwagon??

as soon as i get challenged

Ive been waiting for someone to try and shut me up lol

Edited by jdm_freek

Oh don't get me wrong I wasn't looking for a CPU comparison, just was interested how much my CPU/RAM combo would bottleneck my GPU lol. Either way, I think it is safe to say we each have some beastly rigs for whatever we're gonna do on them :P

I hope i can get a good OC out of my card. I'm more worried about OCing the CPU since I haven't worked with a multi-core CPU before. I'm getting started on that tonight...hope to be at 3.4-3.6GHz tonight then go up from there haha

Indeed! You know, after we get done with this duel. And after you upgrade your mainboard and ram. We should have a rematch, or at the very least, just have you run through the same set of benchmarks and compare new scores against old. Id really be interested in seeing if the MoBo/Ram is causing some sort of bottleneck in the card.

Oh overclocking a 1055t ought to be really easy compared to the old ways of doing things. It should be pretty easy so long as your cooling out in AZ holds up... Maybe take your computer out to your car and run the AC in the car to keep it cool?? lol2.gifrofl.gif

as soon as i get challenged

Ive been waiting for someone to try and shut me up lol

Gimme some time to get my other 570 and then id definitely duel you! Admittedly it may be some time before i get another 570 as im currently more interested in water cooling my CPU with a custom loop.

Indeed! You know, after we get done with this duel. And after you upgrade your mainboard and ram. We should have a rematch, or at the very least, just have you run through the same set of benchmarks and compare new scores against old. Id really be interested in seeing if the MoBo/Ram is causing some sort of bottleneck in the card.

Oh overclocking a 1055t ought to be really easy compared to the old ways of doing things. It should be pretty easy so long as your cooling out in AZ holds up... Maybe take your computer out to your car and run the AC in the car to keep it cool?? lol2.gifrofl.gif

Gimme some time to get my other 570 and then id definitely duel you! Admittedly it may be some time before i get another 570 as im currently more interested in water cooling my CPU with a custom loop.

[/quote

"just say when" :thumbsup::biggrin:

Funny you should mention that... I forgot I was housesitting for my aunt this weekend, but she has central air so my cooling should be a bit better off than with the evap cooler at my place...not nearly as humid or hot so I should be stable temp wise. I'm more worried about my CPU cooler holding me back haha

Funny you should mention that... I forgot I was housesitting for my aunt this weekend, but she has central air so my cooling should be a bit better off than with the evap cooler at my place...not nearly as humid or hot so I should be stable temp wise. I'm more worried about my CPU cooler holding me back haha

Lol well nice then! Perfect timing to get some serious numbers put up over the weekend eh?

I like what im hearing! Competition is good for the mind and body!

OVERCLOCKED SCORES!! WOO WOO! CPU at 4.4Ghz, Memory at 2100Mhz 9-11-9-27. My GTX570 ranged anywhere between 970/1940/2420 to 955/1910/2400 depending on the test.

Battle 1: Unigine Heaven v2.1, 8xMSAA & 16xAF Tessellation Normal, highest settings on rest(1680x1050)

FPS = 54.7

Score = 1378

Min FPS = 26.9

Max FPS = 111.9

post-73007-13042822416875_thumb.png

Battle 2: 3DMark Vantage(No PhysX) Performance Preset

Graphics Score = 28007.73

P-Score = 27809

post-73007-13042821854232_thumb.png

Battle 3: 3DMark11 Performance Preset

Graphics Score = 6285

P-Score = 6718

post-73007-13042821991147_thumb.png

Battle 4: Stalker Call of Propyat, DX11 Fullscreen at 4xMSAA and AA for A-tested objects DX10, HDAO, high SSAO, and tessellation enabled.(1680x1050)

Day: 25.6 / 59.4 / 94.1

Night: 38.1 / 57.3 / 87.1

Rain: 39. / 59.9 / 100.7

Sun-Shafts: 31.0 / 43.7 / 64.2

post-73007-1304282269435_thumb.png

Battle 5: Cinebench 11.5, OpenGL Run

OpenGL = 60.29

post-73007-1304282225179_thumb.png

I didnt expect such a big improvement on Cinebench 11.5, over 50% increase in score!! GG overclocking GG. I was orginally gonna use 970mhz on the core through all 5 tests, but i had some stability issues with Heaven and i lazy due to lack of actual testing time, and just put it at settings that i know to be totally stable.

Cant wait to see your scores imm0rt41!!

Man, I like those stock vs overclock tests. Those are some big jumps in performance! :thumbsup: