32 bit vs 64 bit

camaro_dude15

i recently bought an am2+/am3 board and a 1055t, and i couldnt wait to finish buying all the parts for it, i wanted to fold with it, so i took an old e machine, stuffed my board in there and it booted to windows vista! everything went fine, i installed the drivers, and it works, but i then find out, it is a 32 bit os, so i want to know is there a difference, do i really need to buy a 64 bit os?

Do you need to buy one? Nope. Just use the same key and install the 64 bit version with it. They are interchangeable. smile.gif

i have no vista disk, but i do have the key from on the case, does this mean i can use the keys on all my old oem cases?

i have no vista disk, but i do have the key from on the case, does this mean i can use the keys on all my old oem cases?

According to the EULA, no. Legally it's a grey area. It'd work as long as you have an OEM install disk.

is there a way to find a download and make a windows dvd? if there is where would i find said download? would a usb drive work?

You can "burn" the image to any USB drive 4 GB or larger. As for obtaining the image...there are several ways to get it...not many of them entirely legal. Personally I have no qualms about downloading a pirated copy when I have a legitimate key.

Edited by Waco

You can "burn" the image to any USB drive 4 GB or larger. As for obtaining the image...there are several ways to get it...not many of them entirely legal. Personally I have no qualms about downloading a pirated copy when I have a legitimate key.

This. that's how I ended up getting my copy of Win7 64 bit

Yea it is easy to find any copy of Windows ;)

But, camaro you also asked what the difference is with 32bit and 64bit, and it basically comes down to how much RAM you want to use! If 4GB or less then a 32bit OS will be fine, but if you are wanting to use more than 4GB, then you need a 64bit OS. Back in the day another hang-up with 64bit OS's was driver support, but that isn't really the case anymore :thumbsup:

i want a fresh install anyway, it still thinks it an e machine lol, i found a place to download the image, which wasnt easy becuase even when i googled vista i was mostly finding 7, and when i did find it the site highly recomended a download mangager because its so big, so i grabbed one from cnet, and i dont know how i lived without one!