Problems installing Gigabyte 6850

Scott P

I took the time today to move my computer from my hulking Antec P180 to my new Lian-Li case. I also replaced my Sapphire HD 4890 Vapor-X with a shiny new Gigabyte 6850. When I plugged eveything in, I got a message that CMOS was being reset or something along those lines. Once Windows installed the VGA drivers, I installed the ATI drivers from the installation CD. Upon restart, the screen displayed horizontal black and white bars across the bottom half of my monitor. I restart the computer with the power switch and this time the screen went blank and the monitor reported no signal.

I eventually got it to Safe Mode and removed the drivers. I restarted the machine and it went into the normal low res graphics. I updated the motherboard BIOS to the newest version (Beta). I also downloaded the newest video drivers for the card from the Gigabyte website.That install also resulted in an unstable or missing screen after start-up. In one restart, Windows rolled back to the most recent working configuration. This is my current configuration.

The system specs and parts are in my signature. I am running Windows 7 64 Bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Install the latest drivers from AMD, not Gigabyte.

+1

I just went from an evga GT240 to an ASUS HD 6970 without much issue. I just booted the PC into safe mode and ran drivercleaner, then I powered down, swapped the cards, powered up, cancelled the driver install from windows, installed AMD drivers from AMD's website, ????, Profit!

Update - I have uninstalled the ATI software and then installed the newest ATI software from AMD. I now have a red line across the top of the monitor and nothing else. It gets to the windows starting screen, then goes blank or blank with a line across the screen. It then goes blue screen and restarts. The same cycle starts again (if I start windows normally). The blue screen is sometimes black with yellow text. It is often distorted at that point.

I have a ticket submitted with Gigabyte, but have no clue how long it will take for them to respond.

For 500 dollars the question is

I have uninstalled the ATI software and then installed the newest ATI software from AMD. I now have a red line across the top of the monitor and nothing else. It gets to the windows starting screen, then goes blank or blank with a line across the screen. It then goes blue screen and restarts. The same cycle starts again (if I start windows normally). The blue screen is sometimes black with yellow text. It is often distorted at that point.

Ding, Ding Ding!!!

what is a bad GPU card

That is correct!

I popped my 4890 back in and it works fine. I am waiting on Gigabyte to answer my ticket before I RMA it to Newegg. I've never had to RMA a card before, so this will be a learning experience.Should I get another 6850 and gamble that it works right, or should I look towards something else? The rig specs are in my signature.

I'd just get it replaced through Newegg if you can - they are usually much quicker than any RMA service through a manufacturer. If you're lucky they'll even cross-ship to you so you get the new card faster.

I submitted an RMA request through Newegg for an exchange. The shipping offer from UPS from Newegg was a bit high, so I'll ship it myself though FedEx Ground. It will go out today and with some luck, I'll have the new card next week. I am lucky enough to have a functioning card, so I'm not totally screwed. I don't like paying for return shipping on a defective item, but I suppose it is how the business is done.

i've bought gigabyte card (9600 GT) and that's the first and last card i'll buy from there. i had gigabyte mobo and card and everything works just fine except the driver CD i mean it just won't run no matter what, other computers ran it fine but if your driver cd fail to run you guys have problem.

and i also had run with newegg, last tuesday, surprisingly they paid for shipping, had RAM in about 5 min and Shipping label in 30 min. so i guess it depends on different customer for them to see weather to pay for shipping or let the customer do it!!!!

Hey Scott,

When your next card comes in (and before you remove your current card).

Download and install CCleaner (you'll need it here in a bit)

Use the Windows Add/Remove Programs utility to uninstall your existing driver, ccc etc.

After the uninstaller has run - fire up CCleaner and use it to zap any orphaned ATi/AMD files, folders, .dlls etc.

Now, if you're comfortable using the registry editor, enter regedit and manually search for any remaining AMD/ATi registry entries (careful here - don't delete anything that shows up as "AMD64")

After you've done the three steps above - do a manual search of your hard drive and remove any remaining AMD/ATi folders.

Now you should be ready for a truly fresh installation of the latest AMD drivers, CCC etc.

Good luck (and sorry about your bad luck).