Baking 8800gts?

I've been given a faulty 8800gts with artefacts on the screen, I read that it was possible to fix it by baking it in an oven.

Has anyone done this and if so what results did you get?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*shakes fist to the sky in sign of victory with the 8800GT in his other hand over his hearth while kneeling to the oven*

On a more serious note, it should work if you follow the instructions carefully, but i ussualy have to redo it every 4 to 6 weeks or so to bring it back to life (i get no signal whatsoever so you might not have to do this more than once) if i keep the fan at auto (it might last longer if you let it at 100% all the time, but it`s like a scuter always on the back of your head).

It`s a kind of videocard CPR.

After three years of use my 8800gts 320 started artifacting so I baked it. I followed the recommended 9 minutes at 385. The card worked again like new but only for about 2-3 months and the problem came back. I didn't bother baking it a second time. I would recommend doing it but once it starts acting up again you may not find it worth the trouble to do a second time.

After it quit the 2nd time I picked up a 5770. You can get a better card than the 8800gts for less than $150 these days.

I've been given a faulty 8800gts with artefacts on the screen, I read that it was possible to fix it by baking it in an oven.

Has anyone done this and if so what results did you get?

what manufacturer is it?? is the donor registered, and is the maker one of the lifetime warranty peeps ;)

what manufacturer is it?? is the donor registered, and is the maker one of the lifetime warranty peeps ;)

I have no idea if its registered, would be difficult to find out as its from ebay. Its a gainward golden sample 640mb, I think it only has a 2 year warranty but I'm not sure.

I'm curious what it smells like in your kitchen after you bake it.

Burnt PCB anyone? biggrin.gif

Lol thats what I was thinking, wouldn't it melt the plastic bits on the card and the stickers on the back?

I have no idea if its registered, would be difficult to find out as its from ebay. Its a gainward golden sample 640mb, I think it only has a 2 year warranty but I'm not sure.

oh nevermind, I thought you meant a friend gave it to ya. Did you know it was broken??