Knife carry length.

SpeedCrazy

hey guys,

im looking to replace my too easily dulled pocketknife and need to figure out the length restrictions on folder blades.

Anyone know where to look?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it depends on where you are. but there should be state laws. I'm not sure if this is true, but ive heard the blade length can be no longer than the width of your palm, fingers not included.

Well i googled it and i cant find anything very helpful.

States i would need to be legal in are both carolinas.

All i can find in sc is this:

SECTION 16-23-460. Carrying concealed weapons; forfeiture of weapons.

(A) A person carrying a deadly weapon usually used for the infliction of personal injury concealed about his person is guilty of a misdemeanor, must forfeit to the county, or, if convicted in a municipal court, to the municipality, the concealed weapon, and must be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not less than thirty days nor more than ninety days.

(B) The provisions of this section do not apply to:

(1) A person carrying a concealed weapon upon his own premises or pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23; or

(2) peace officers in the actual discharge of their duties.

© The provisions of this section also do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, knives, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime.

Nothing definite, i have heard that there are no restrictions but i want to find the legislation.

As for NC:

It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.........................This section does not apply to an ordinary pocket knife carried in a closed position. As used in this section, "ordinary pocket knife" means a small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse, that has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action.

So..... what do you think is reasonable?

I am looking at some version of this. Look alright?

Just go to the nearest police station and ask. They should know, especially since they're the ones that'll bust you if it's too long.

Yeah, i'll probably do that.

Or i've got a friends who is dads a city cop, might try and ask him. Will city vs rural be different?