My First Build…

SaberOne

I’m another new guy, seeking what already has been sought time after time.

Background:

I started out using Mac’s in 1984 so my transition to windows was always a struggle. My job required that I use DOS and eventually windows came along and so the story goes. These days, I enjoy organizing things, researching things, and playing with things that require Windows more and more. I also have two NEC PA271 Photo/Pro level displays and they render better under Windows-7 than on my MacPro. If you can believe it, I’m running these two-flagship displays with a single pithy GT120 card via Boot Camp on the Mac.

Initially, I looked high and low for a standalone PC and I considered the usual suspects from Dell, HP, Cyber Something’ and Digital Storm. However, when I compared the component prices I quickly learned the markup is huge! Besides, I think building a system would be fun, so here I am!

Ok, I read the various threads and decided the Thermaltake 10 GT may be the easier chassis for a guy like me to work on. I’m in no big hurry since I just recently installed W7 Ult 64 on a dedicated drive in my MacPro. Frankly, I thought there might be a ‘new members’ section, or a ‘first build’ section but apparently not, or I simply suck at using search. In any event, I hope I can settle in and ask a bunch of the same questions that you more seasoned folks have answered over and over again.

I’ll start by asking if there are any negatives to selecting the Thermaltake 10GT. Yeah, I know it’s expensive but I really like the design and the apparent easy access for a newbie to work on.

Regards,

Edited by SaberOne

It's always good to look at reviews, the 10GT isn't very popular at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133188. I mean, the bad reviews seem to be made by user error, but I personally would go for a more tried and true case. As far as "easy for someone new", no case is really hard to use. The bigger you get, the more space you have to work, and that does make it easier to work on.

The best thing you can do is go to the Computer Cases section, and sort by "Best Rated". Then find one that suits your needs and pricepoint. After you've narrowed it down to a few you're interested in, track down online reviews like the ones at OCC to get a more detailed idea of the cases.

Edited by Darth_Tom

Sorry, but I'm having huge problems with posting. Word spacing runs together, color of text is dark-on-dark. I'm having the same issue on the Mac and Windows. Never seen anything like this on a forum, and I belong to several. If anyone can help with this, then please advise.

Back of topic: I took your advice and read some reviews and decided against the Thermaltake. I ended up with a SilverStone which was less expensive, while still offering a level of quality and style that appeals to my taste. It should arrive later this week and I'm really looking forward to it.Next up... not sure ~

Edited by SaberOne

My budget is $2500-3k. I already have the case and ordered the ASUS P67 TUFF Mobo today. Since this is my first build I expect some mistakes. Likewise, I’ll have to spread the cost out over time. Admittedly, I’m already a bit apprehensive, as I know full well how some projects can run off the rails. Heck, I could end up with a bad component and not even know it. Oh well, you only live once on the surface.

Edited by SaberOne

My budget is $2500-3k. I already have the case and ordered the ASUS P67 TUFF Mobo today. Since this is my first build I expect some mistakes. Likewise, I’ll have to spread the cost out over time. Admittedly, I’m already a bit apprehensive, as I know full well how some projects can run off the rails. Heck, I could end up with a bad component and not even know it. Oh well, you only live once on the surface.

In your sig... it says you are planning in getting a Hydro GTX580... How to you propose to cool that card with no water cooling system?

I have no doubt a Modded H60 w/ added reservoir and additional tubing could be capable of atleast somewhat cooling both your CPU and GPU, but neither while overclocked as the single 120.1 Rad with the H60 couldnt possibly dissipate all that heat. But i would think a mod like that could be quite... advanced... for your first build. I think the point im making is, unlike the closed loop CPU coolers, that GTX580 Hydro is nothing more than a reference GTX580 with a waterblock preattached(and over priced, because the cost of a reference 580 with your own 580 waterblock is cheaper). You still need a water cooling system to cool it. So unless you wanna get real fancy, just get a air cooled 580. Perhaps with a non-reference custom designed cooling solution from a company like Asus or MSI.

As for CPU, i7-2600k... i see you've set your sights on a i5-2500k, good choice as well, but if it was me, with a large budget? Id get the i7-2600k

Any 2x4GB(8GB total) 1600mhz ram kit would work well... My preferred company is Mushkin, but G.Skill, Patriot, and Corsair are great. Kingston isnt bad but i wouldnt buy it for performance, they have GREAT value though.

Id HIGHLY recommend a SSD for boot/basic apps. 120Gb+ preferred but 60GB+ required IMO. Again, my preferred companies for these are Mushkin, and Corsair. I personally own an SSD from each company, and love em'.

2 or 3, 1TB 7200rpm drives, brand of your choice, i prefer samsung at the moment, but i dont know for how much longer as apparently Seagate just bought them(cry.gif) in either raid1 or raid 5 for storage for speed and/or redundancy. The onboard raid controller will cover this nicely.(I assume you will be using this computer for rendering/work? Thats atleast what your original post lead me to believe. Possibly work AND play? evilgrin.gif Which is why im suggesting redundant storage)

I like your choice in PSU and case as well.

CPU cooler is nice, but the closed loop systems arent quite perfect yet. They are extremely reliable but cost too much for the performance they off, high end air coolers such as the Prolimatech Megahalems and Noctua NH-D14 still offer much betters temps than any of the closed loop systems current on the market. Although rumors suggest the Antec Kuhler H20 920 ought to have some real nice performance numbers, but at a price greater than that of the megahalems and NH-D14.

And you'll be using it for...?

If you want to game... the build in your sig would be fine. Though I would consider a modular PSU, like the Corsair AX850 or HX850 (see also: Seasonic X series, XFX Black Edition 850w). No knock on the PC P&C 910 (I use the 750), but its not modular and its also a little high output for your needs (and the AX850 is just so sweet).

SSD recommendation... since you've got the funds, a SATA III SSD should be top of your list. You can go the Intel route, but I think the Vertex 3 is a solid buy- just blazing performance for a reasonable $100 premium over last-gen models. Then just grab 1 or 2 big platter drives for data (you can RAID them if you want).

The GTX 580 won't disappoint you...

The H60 is fine, but for your budget I'm surprised you aren't looking at a custom water loop cooling solution. They aren't terribly complicated, and I believe that case would do it well (check me on that).

Wow…’ask and ye shall receive’. Ok, let me start by clarifying my initial postings and desires. Back in the cretaceous period I used DOS as Mac came on the scene. I immediately embraced the Apple and stayed with it till’ this very day.

Fast forward: My first pro workstation was a Dell 620 decked out with multiple SCSI drives, tape backups’ and so on. It was a monster and ran well for its vantage. Then along came W7 and I installed it on my MacPro slaved to my two NEC PA271 graphic displays. I’ve visited a science lab and saw some high-end workstations and one off-the-shelf gaming system. It was being used in the lab for rendering 3D and it blew away the higher priced workstations. Now, I know that I don’t need a gaming system for casual gaming and photo and video work I currently do, but I want one just the same. I love power, beauty and quality but Angelina Jolie has yet to return my phone calls.

Today: I have no idea what I’m really doing with this build as everything is based on limited knowledge and a lot of reading. However, I do understand the basics and threads/posts on this forum will help tremendously! I truly take stock in the advice regarding build suggestions and so forth.

For instance, I can already see that I need a more refined cooling arrangement for the 580 and CPU and last night I read the specs on the Koolance RP-402X2 Dual5.25" Reservoir for 1-2 PMP-400 Pumps, Rev.1.1 but again, it’s just a thought.

BTW: I spoke with an engineer at PC Cooling and he said the 760-Silencer PSU would work provided I don’t add another 580. He can also remove and shorten the cabling I don’t need. Only issue is that I have to determine which cables go, etc. I guess the PSU will be the last item I purchase so I'll know what can be reasonably deleted and/or cut to provide a cleaner install. For me, the configuration and build is more fun than the actual use once its finished.

Edited by SaberOne

I would honestly just save the trouble and buy a modular PSU. He is correct, a 760w Silencer would be fine if you only plan on running a single card setup. However, just buying a modular PSU allows you to add and remove cables yourself for any kind of future flexibility you might need. Its nice he's willing to customize it for you, but for the money that PSU will cost you can easily find a higher performance, modular PSU. Again, I'm going to point you to the Corsair AX750/850. Its superb performance- really at the top of its class. High build quality, and 5 year warranty. I've had my hands on one, and it is a solid unit. And probably every bit as affordable. I honestly think the price bump from the 750 to the 850 is very reasonable, and is worth it for the headroom.

I can't advise on that specific cooling setup...

I can make another post later about your performance needs/build ideas.

Thanks 'LuckyDeath',

I’ve read other recommendations on the AX850 so I’ll have to take another look-see at those specs. Likewise, I look forward to any other config' ideas.

Edited by SaberOne