My first build, Help needed please!

Timo15

Hi guys im looking to build my first computer and have roughly sorted out a system that meets my needs. Im wanting a computer that isnt too expensive and can be used to play games with no problems. My budget that im looking to finish around is about $1,400 (This is New Zealand dollars). Im dont have too much knowledge when it comes to choosing the right parts and what parts are better then others, so all suggestions and tweaks will be much appreciated :)

The website that im am using to buy my parts is http://www.computerlounge.co.nz

This is what ive got so far, its in New Zealand dollars sorry:

Motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3R-B3 INTEL P67 DDR3 USB3+SATA3 RAID LGA1155 PCI-E - ($279.00)

Processer : INTEL CORE I5 2500 SANDY BRIDGE 3.30GHZ 6MB 95W LGA1155 - ($319.00)

Hard Drive : WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLACK 1TB WD1002FAEX 64MB CACHE SATA3 - ($138.00)

Video Card : Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E - ($219.00)

Ram : CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - ($155.00)

Power Supply : CORSAIR TX650 V2 ENTHUSIAST SERIES POWER SUPPLY - ($179.00)

CPU cooler : SCYTHE MUGEN 2 (REV.B) HEATPIPE CPU COOLER - ($89.00)

Case : $109

So what do you guys think?? What can I improve on?? and what could i change to save money??

I will definitely be playing Battle Feild 3 when it comes out so will probably be looking to upgrade some parts new the end of the year.

Thanks for your time :cheers:

Edited by Timo15

If you plan to overclock you need to get a 2500K or 2600K intel chip. It sucks but the nice CPU cooler will be wasted on a non unlocked chip.

Intel procs don't OC anything like they used to. They overclock to far higher speeds but only if you get the right kind of chip.

Kind of annoying. Nice looking build other than that. Trade up to the 2500K, if you have to get a cheaper cooler to do it, it would be worth it. The Hyper 212+ is always good and cheap.

you can overclock with a non k processor but only by the blk?fsb? and probably on the overclocking chipset (should wait for the z series boards!)

whats the case?

remember he is buying from new Zealand, btw don't they have 6790's there yet?

Edited by Dan The Gamer

you can overclock with a non k processor but only by the blk?fsb? and probably on the overclocking chipset (should wait for the z series boards!)

whats the case?

remember he is buying from new Zealand, btw don't they have 6790's there yet?

The bclck only allows for about 3% increase in speed.

@op that gpu performs similarly to a 4870 which is two generations old. seriously think of another. i see that it's very expensive over there, but a 6850 (Crossfire later) is a much better way to go!

The bclck only allows for about 3% increase in speed.

@op that gpu performs similarly to a 4870 which is two generations old. seriously think of another. i see that it's very expensive over there, but a 6850 (Crossfire later) is a much better way to go!

erm did you read the reviews on the things? the reviewers said they got past 4Ghz... i doubt that people who have non k processors here would buy them if they couldn't overclock

what does a 2nd gen i7/i5 owner have to say?

Edited by Dan The Gamer

I agree with the others, if you aren't overclocking don't get the Mugen. If you are get the 212+ for a cooler and get the 2500K for the chip

Man are the 5770s expensive there, how much do 6850s go for or a 460 1GB