$500 Gaming Build

d3athsd00r

I'm looking to do a $500 gaming build with no preference on Intel/AMD or Nvidia/ATI. It just pretty much needs to be $500 and run recent games at decent settings. (720p?)

I'm not really good with budget builds and would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks all.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd probably be looking at a Core i3, H67 motherboard (Gigabyte or Asrock), a decent 650w PSU (like a Corsair TX650), pick up a hard drive, and spend whatever you have left on the best flavor of video card available. I'd recommend an ATI 6850 or a new ATI 6790.

You'd probably be looking at a Core i3, H67 motherboard (Gigabyte or Asrock), a decent 650w PSU (like a Corsair TX650), pick up a hard drive, and spend whatever you have left on the best flavor of video card available. I'd recommend an ATI 6850 or a new ATI 6790.

He needs ram as well ;) I happen to have some for sale.....here :D

AMD!

Get a nice Athlon II X4, 2x2GB 1600mhz sticks (cheapest you can find), 890GX board, 460 1GB or 6850 1GB, and the rest is on you ;)

This. Intel and budget builds don't go hand in hand. The 890GX board allows for Crossfire down the road if you go with an AMD card, but overall it'd be a great performer on a $500 budget.

Was looking at the Phenom 2 x4 since its only ~$20 more than the Athlon 2 and I'm assuming the Phenom would have better performance.

Also, what brands of ATI cards are good? I've only ever used EVGA for Nvidia.

So I'm thinking

P2 x4 $110

GPU $150

4 GB RAM $45

PSU $40

HDD $45

MOBO $60

Case $30

DVD Drive $20

And this is without an OS. I already have that taken care of.