Cleaning up the registry?

Miek

I had soooooo many "junk" programs on my computer (that's what I get for letting my friends/family use my baby!) that I went through and uninstalled today. I'm pretty sure the programs are gone, but I'm wondering about the Windows Registry. Is it possible to make sure that's cleaned up too after the programs uninstalled? Or should I just not worry about it?

I had soooooo many "junk" programs on my computer (that's what I get for letting my friends/family use my baby!) that I went through and uninstalled today. I'm pretty sure the programs are gone, but I'm wondering about the Windows Registry. Is it possible to make sure that's cleaned up too after the programs uninstalled? Or should I just not worry about it?

It wouldn't hurt to do it anyway, and ccleaner has a pretty good registry cleaner built in.

Is it free?

Also, some programs I kept but haven't used in quite a while. What if CCleaner were to delete registry entries for those programs and then I tried to use one of them?

Also, I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Will CCleaner work on a 64 bit OS?

Edited by Miek

It's free, and I believe it doesn't go off what you use, but by what programs are not installed anymore. And yes, it will work on a 64-bit OS. :)

isn't it strange that MS doesn't have it's own registry cleaner, since their registry seems to be the cornerstone of the OS...they go to great lengths to protect it from programming encroachment but haven't figured out how to optimize it and keep it tight...

isn't it strange that MS doesn't have it's own registry cleaner, since their registry seems to be the cornerstone of the OS...they go to great lengths to protect it from programming encroachment but haven't figured out how to optimize it and keep it tight...

...or that they can't provide an uninstaller that tracks down and removes all of the registry entries...

Alright, I got CCleaner installed. Now, I'm going to run it and hope for the best. :P

EDIT: It completed all of its tasks pretty quickly! My startup/shutdown seems to be at least a couple seconds quicker. Though, next time I don't think I'll tell it to delete my internet cookies. I've been logged out of lots of sites I go to. :P Ah well, I'll just log back in.

Edited by Miek

Also, some programs I kept but haven't used in quite a while. What if CCleaner were to delete registry entries for those programs and then I tried to use one of them?

Typically most registry cleaners allow you to backup your current registry before it goes and cleans it so if it accidentally removes the wrong thing you can restore the old registry without any problems.

I've looked at registry cleaners over the years and have found for the most part they don't really do anything to fix the computer and are just a waste of time and money if you pay for them

I've looked at some benchmarks over the years comparing registry cleaners before and after usage and the benefits are almost nonexistent you can just do a Google search on it and be able to find the evidence your self

The best thing I've found that is if your computer is giving you errors or is running slow and normal means are not fixing it is just to format and reinstall windows which almost always works

Edited by fire_storm

Typically most registry cleaners allow you to backup your current registry before it goes and cleans it so if it accidentally removes the wrong thing you can restore the old registry without any problems.

I've looked at registry cleaners over the years and have found for the most part they don't really do anything to fix the computer and are just a waste of time and money if you pay for them

I've looked at some benchmarks over the years comparing registry cleaners before and after usage and the benefits are almost nonexistent you can just do a Google search on it and be able to find the evidence your self

The best thing I've found that is if your computer is giving you errors or is running slow and normal means are not fixing it is just to format and reinstall windows which almost always works

:withstupid: Any benefits are most often Placebo, and CCleaner actually broke a Windows install for my friend before lol

Ive used CCCleaner before, it does a really good job. It may not offer any major benefit if your registry isnt that bad. But the very first time i used it, on a years old super slow Compaq computer. It found over 6000 registry errors, and it was no placebo effect. That old computer was atleast 3 times faster all around, and it doubled FPS in most games. But it was also a computer with the same windows ME(/shiver) install for like 6 years.