championjc's first build

championjc

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't ordered parts yet, then you should definitely go for the 990x if you want to stick with the extreme edition 1366 socket. Same price, way better chip.

2600k would be a better processor for a WAY better price than that 975 too. And all you would need is a different motherboard.

If you haven't ordered parts yet, then you should definitely go for the 990x if you want to stick with the extreme edition 1366 socket. Same price, way better chip.

2600k would be a better processor for a WAY better price than that 975 too. And all you would need is a different motherboard.

i'm thinking about it, right now i can get a 975 for $900 so we'll see.

i still am having trouble finding ram that's tri channel and runs at 2200mhz.

it'll be a month or two before i can get the money together for all the parts. i've got the case and i'll be ordering the dual 17" screens in a few days.

By screens do you mean monitors? If so is there a specific reason you're going with two 17" monitors? If that isn't what you mean then disregard this.

also +1 for the previously recommended 2600k. You're going to save a lot of money without really sacrificing much performance at all. All the money saved can go to a dual GPU set up or an SSD. Its not very difficult to mock up a new build, especially with everyone on here that is more than willing to help you out.

so i've been waiting 7 years to do my first build since i realized the computer i got from dell as a kid was crap. now i've got the income to work with so i'm doing it.

case: ultra m998

MOBO: Gigabyte G1.Guerrilla

cpu: intel I7 975e

power supply: ~850watt haven't decided brand yet

SDD/HDD: Seagate ST95005620AS Momentus XT 500GB Solid State Hybrid Drive

heat sink: undecided

RAM: undecided

GPU: Radeon HD 6850 1Gb

i'm having trouble finding ram at the max range(2200Mhz) of the MOBO in tri channel any suggestions? and i was hoping to find a decent heat sink that would suit my case well its got an intake/exhaust right over the cpu so i thought maybe one that would blow straight out of the case? but other wise i'd get one with push/pull fans and heatpipes.

What are you going to be using your PC for? I'm just asking because the new sandy bridge is a better CPU for less money. With the extra money you would save, you could get a better graphics card, a really nice ssd and something bigger than 17" monitors :huh:

the 975 is a horrible decision at $900. You could get the 2600k, motherboard, and ram for that price, and it would be a FASTER setup. We are just tryin to keep you from something you are going to regret later.

i still am having trouble finding ram that's tri channel and runs at 2200mhz.

975x at $900 is a COMPLETE rip off. See the 975x is onlya quad-core CPU. Where as for $100 more you can get the 990x, the 990x is a HEX-core cpu, thats right 6 cores! Its beastly, and its current the only cpu that is better than the i7-2600k(well the 970 and 980x are as well, but they are all 6 core gulftown chips) If you really want to build the best, then build it with the 990x, the 975 is a complete rip off. Dont confuse the 975x and being better than the 970 because its not, the 970 is a hex-core CPU as well.

Ultimately, your alot better off getting a socket 1155 board and CPU(2600k) or waiting for Bulldozer later this year.

What do you plan on doing with this computer, you obviously arent gaming on your current rig, atleast not current games anyways.

And for heatsinks id recommend the Prolimatech Megahalems oooor the best of the best Noctua NH-D14. No joke, if you want the BEST air cooler on the market(as of 4-17-11), get yourself a Noctua NH-D14. It cant be beat!

Also memory like this? http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820104228

Also this kit may only be rated to 2000mhz but its also a 12GB(3x4GB) so its a nice find being that fast as well as 4GB chips: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820220518

the 975 is a horrible decision at $900. You could get the 2600k, motherboard, and ram for that price, and it would be a FASTER setup. We are just tryin to keep you from something you are going to regret later.

+1

my sister has a 19" monitor and its just too damn big for my taste so i'm going to dual 17" monitors in 4:3.

my current computer can't hardly handle flash games let alone decent computer games. i'll be using the new build for both games and some 3d rendering if i ever get back to it.

the graphics card is good enough it'll run both monitors and easily play video on my 47" tv.

the ssd/hdd is as far as i know the only one that can closely match an ssd in speed and hdd in capacity.

budget isn't really a big deal i'm expecting to spend 2-3 grand on this project.