Portal 2 to be released EARLY!!!

Waco

6-8 hours? Is that something to be proud of now? I was really expecting a lot more out of this game, and maybe I'm not wrong with those expectations, most people seem to speed run these games rather than taking their time to enjoy them. I mean one of the earlier comments said something about beating it in 20 minutes, what's the deal with that? That's not even possible, not without noclip anyway.

I believe he said number one was beaten in 20 mins. Not #2.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he said number one was beaten in 20 mins. Not #2.

I know, that's the comment I was referring to, I wasn't talking about Portal 2 because he wasn't talking about Portal 2 when he said that.

Edited by Deathmineral

I just completed single player, and it took me about 7 hours. Including taking the time to enjoy the scenery, but I'm also gonna go through again with dev commentary on, so that's another 5 hours now that I know how to solve things.

after that 2 runs though co-op (with &without commentary) so there is another 5-6 hours

total ~ 17-18 hours not just 6

I just completed single player, and it took me about 7 hours. Including taking the time to enjoy the scenery, but I'm also gonna go through again with dev commentary on, so that's another 5 hours now that I know how to solve things.

after that 2 runs though co-op (with &without commentary) so there is another 5-6 hours

I'm not saying you can't put 100 hours into this game, you can do that with any game really. I just thought the game would have a really good length to it, I was hoping it would take at least 15 or 20 hours.

well the first game was like 2-3 hours max so im not disappointed at all. I just started chapter 4 and its a ton of fun.

I freaking love Valves sense of humor. GLaDOS is absolutely hilarious. Everything she/it says cracks me up.

I got stuck terrible on #12 but then called myself an idiot once i figured it out.

But #13 #18 im having some serious trouble. I have no freaking clue what to do. Been sitting here for like 20 minutes trying to figure it out /:

Edited by ShallowBay

I'm not saying you can't put 100 hours into this game, you can do that with any game really. I just thought the game would have a really good length to it, I was hoping it would take at least 15 or 20 hours.

Can you think of 15-20 hours worth of physics based puzzles? Really, when I think about it from that perspective, Portal CANNOT be a long game. If you knew going in that it would be 15-20 hours, single player, of physics based puzzles that just get harder and harder, would you actually play it all the way through? There would be a lack of variety of challenge after while. If nothing but the difficulty changes over that time, many people will get bored and just stop playing.

Here's a quote from a book I finished reading about a month ago: "Playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles." Too much of the same basic idea (thinking with portals, now with gels) and the obstacles will become viewed as necessary and the playing may no longer be volunteer, but just a forced grind to the end so you can say you finished it. Of course, this is assuming a continuous go at the game, not an on-again, off-again play style, but I think you get the idea. Also, let's remember that there will be an editor for the game eventually, so the gameplay can be extended with that before too long.

(I linked the quote to the website for the book. I'm not claiming at all that the book or the author would support what I've said here.)

Now to just get some school work done so I can start playing!

I personally won't go through each portion of it twice. So that's around 10 hours if I manage to find someone to do coop with (6 if I only do single player).

Can you think of 15-20 hours worth of physics based puzzles? Really, when I think about it from that perspective, Portal CANNOT be a long game.

That's a very good point but I don't think it should $50 for what will most likely be 6 hours for me. I'm going to wait until the price gets lowered.

Can you think of 15-20 hours worth of physics based puzzles? Really, when I think about it from that perspective, Portal CANNOT be a long game. If you knew going in that it would be 15-20 hours, single player, of physics based puzzles that just get harder and harder, would you actually play it all the way through? There would be a lack of variety of challenge after while. If nothing but the difficulty changes over that time, many people will get bored and just stop playing.

Here's a quote from a book I finished reading about a month ago: "Playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles." Too much of the same basic idea (thinking with portals, now with gels) and the obstacles will become viewed as necessary and the playing may no longer be volunteer, but just a forced grind to the end so you can say you finished it. Of course, this is assuming a continuous go at the game, not an on-again, off-again play style, but I think you get the idea. Also, let's remember that there will be an editor for the game eventually, so the gameplay can be extended with that before too long.

(I linked the quote to the website for the book. I'm not claiming at all that the book or the author would support what I've said here.)

Now to just get some school work done so I can start playing!

Not me, I barely understand why apples fall from trees. :lol: However I think someone that does understand physics well could come up with enough puzzles, I would imagine some of the other puzzle games out there might actually have enough puzzles for that kind of length. Personally I wouldn't want to play a game with only puzzles for that long though. I kind of figured there was some story to this game now, something other than just puzzles, if it's really just 8 hours of puzzles I'd put Portal 2 on my iffy list because I just don't enjoy puzzle games very much. For me, the fun that I get out of Portal is stuff like hidden areas with pin-ups of a companion cube or the humorous dialogue from Glados and those turrets. Portal really didn't get good for me until I got out of the test chambers, I really didn't enjoy the test chambers much at all, I'm just not into the puzzles.

I personally won't go through each portion of it twice. So that's around 10 hours if I manage to find someone to do coop with (6 if I only do single player).

That's a very good point but I don't think it should $50 for what will most likely be 6 hours for me. I'm going to wait until the price gets lowered.

I'm kind of like flareback with the playing through, I doubt I will play through Portal 2 more than once, not even for commentary. I don't even know if I'd end up playing the co-op at all as well, I might just skip that.

I also agree about the value, the amount of time you get out of this game just isn't enough for me to drop $50 on it. There are very few games out there good enough for me to drop that kind of money on, and they're all on the PS3, so they'd actually be $60. I probably won't pick up Portal 2 until it's $5, maybe $10.

Not me, I barely understand why apples fall from trees. :lol: However I think someone that does understand physics well could come up with enough puzzles, I would imagine some of the other puzzle games out there might actually have enough puzzles for that kind of length. Personally I wouldn't want to play a game with only puzzles for that long though. I kind of figured there was some story to this game now, something other than just puzzles, if it's really just 8 hours of puzzles I'd put Portal 2 on my iffy list because I just don't enjoy puzzle games very much. For me, the fun that I get out of Portal is stuff like hidden areas with pin-ups of a companion cube or the humorous dialogue from Glados and those turrets. Portal really didn't get good for me until I got out of the test chambers, I really didn't enjoy the test chambers much at all, I'm just not into the puzzles.

I'm kind of like flareback with the playing through, I doubt I will play through Portal 2 more than once, not even for commentary. I don't even know if I'd end up playing the co-op at all as well, I might just skip that.

I also agree about the value, the amount of time you get out of this game just isn't enough for me to drop $50 on it. There are very few games out there good enough for me to drop that kind of money on, and they're all on the PS3, so they'd actually be $60. I probably won't pick up Portal 2 until it's $5, maybe $10.

yes, there is a lot of back story and a lot of humorous dialogue. If you're not to big into puzzle games, then you should wait till its $10 or $20, but do yourself a favor and pick it up at some point at least for the story.

That's a 4Chan /v/ board raid. They're all bull crapting and lying through their teeth. Single player is slated as being 6 - 8 hours. Co-op 2 - 3 hours.

Metacritic can seriously f off when it comes to user ratings. It's no good for the big games.

Aye, I am what I think might be a little over half way...

just finished it. steam says 7.8 hours but close to 1hr of that it was on pause while was afk txting / doing housework etc so all up probably close to 7hrs in the Single player. one of which i spent today alone on

Wheatley's test #16

was cussing majorly not being able to figure it out. i could probably beat it again in 4hrs or less, i wouldn't call it a speed run just saying i could knowing the solutions.

i definitley enjoyed portal 2 more than portal 1. even though portal 1 was only 3 hrs there were times where i did get a bit bored with the "testing" and wanted it to be over. never felt that in portal 2. although right near the beginning of portal 2 i was a little disappointed that some of the tests were almost direct copies from portal 1. i was like haven't we done these before? i know they were tutorial levels from the first one but you couldn't have redesigned the test?

IMO Jonathan Coultron's new song isn't as great as Still Alive. Not sure if there is going to be a meme like the cake one from the first one.

i was very annoyed / disappointed with valve for including a mirco-transaction store in portal 2. especially on day 1. and especially when the total cost of all the items is almost the same as the cost of the game itself. i can understand the tf2 one as its 4+ years old and as popular as ever and gives the community chance to earn / showcase, but theres no need for one in Portal 2. Its just corporate greed. A path i dont like them taking. Valve used to be different to all the other gaming companies.

i know a lot of this post is negative but they're all quite small things in the scheme of things. and they're more due to the legacy that portal 1 left and due to the weeks (months?) of hype about portal 2. Overall it is a very good, very polished game. had two CTD yesterday in the exact same spot (most likely vista caused). but that was all; no other glitches / tech issues for launch day which is surprising in this day and age *cough* New Vegas, Black Ops, BC2 *Cough*. Story is great, humor is great, graphics are good - some things still have low res textures and look a little dated, but for the most part are pretty good (its no Red Dead Redemption put it that way). Didn't pay a great deal of attention to the soundtrack.

A Solid 9/10 from me. To early to give it GOTY just yet (Duke Nukem Forever anyone? :evilgrin:) but i can see it being in all the GOTY nominations. If you're having doubts about getting the game wait till its $25 (or within your price range) but i do definitley recommend playing it. i was happy that with the exchange rate i could get a AAA title for under $40AUD :woo:

I need to gift my second copy to either my sister or gf so i can do co-op with someone i know / can joke around with (deliberately throw off edges :teehee:)

Also anyone know how long i'm going to have those potatoes on my steam profile page?

Edited by bilcliff