Can anyone help? This is bizare!

Ok...

I've got a Dell Studio 1555 laptop here which is my main rig...

its a 2Ghz core 2, 4570 GPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD...

I was just about to make a CPUz validated sig for here when i noticed something....

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1768093

CPU is at 1.2GHZ!!!!????

Now before anyone asks intel's speedstep is OFF in the bios & the laptop is plugged in and not on batterys.... also OCCT says the same thing so its not CPU z???

wtf?!!? help!! lol im all out of ideas :doh:

Edited by dreamscape

Your Speedstep enable/disable will be set through your BIOS, but I'm sure there's some sort of software utility that you could get to disable it while you're on and plugged in.

I''ve done it in the bios...

Does it stay at 1.2GHz even when the CPU has some work to do?

indeed so, while folding both cores it still remains the same :rolleyes:

Is your laptop in power saving or balanced mode?

Its on "high performace" in widnows 7 x64...

this is really wierd!

EDIT: oh dear... http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19336427/19712011.aspx

thats crap! damn you dell!

i guess il have to stick speedstep on... though it does mean that for a good 9 months i've been using a 1.2ghz processor... :withstupid:

Edited by dreamscape

Also,

Be advised that Dell has their own proprietary power management application that was likely installed on your machine when it was built and configured. Good chance that the power saving features of the laptop don't like the power saving features such as speed step turned off in the BIOS. Just a thought.

Also,

Be advised that Dell has their own proprietary power management application that was likely installed on your machine when it was built and configured. Good chance that the power saving features of the laptop don't like the power saving features such as speed step turned off in the BIOS. Just a thought.

Well i just enabled speedstep as its either that or stay at 1.2ghz..

now its jumping around like crazy from 2ghz to 1.2ghz and if i fold it goes right to 2ghz nicely but then overheats and thermal throttling kicks in... awesome LOL

ah well at least i can get my sig made now lol thanks for the help all

Well i just enabled speedstep as its either that or stay at 1.2ghz..

now its jumping around like crazy from 2ghz to 1.2ghz and if i fold it goes right to 2ghz nicely but then overheats and thermal throttling kicks in... awesome LOL

ah well at least i can get my sig made now lol thanks for the help all

It shouldnt overheat!! When was the last time you cleaned dust out from the inside of the laptop? Could have some good blockage in it.

It shouldnt overheat!! When was the last time you cleaned dust out from the inside of the laptop? Could have some good blockage in it.

I literally just did hence my timely reply lol

its clean now but it still overheats, i've googled it and it seems this laptop also runs HOT the GPU and CPU share the same heatpipes/heatsink :withstupid:

ah well, good excuse to buy a new, proper PC