W7 Loading Slowly

Interimo

Alright, so recently, my ssystem started loading pretty slowly from the login screen to being able to do something when logged in. I takes about 10-20 seconds for it to load. The only thing I've done recently is installed a working version of my graphics drivers. I suspect it might ahve something to do with my start-up programs, I just don't know which one. My question is: does W7 have a list of programs that auto-start that I can look through, or B) Is there a program out there that I can use to view my auto-start programs?

Thanks,

Interimo.

You can Control - Alt - Delete and look in Task Manager to see what processes or applications are running.

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - System Configuration will show you the services and startup programs that you can disable but be careful!

did you do a virus scan lately? i had a few viruses on a laptop and scanning with mcaffee made the boot time faster by 20 seconds :)

Yeah, nothing came up. I used MSE to do it. I also optimized with auslogics and cleaned with IObit ASC.

In your start menu, type "msconfig", go to the 'startup' tab and there you can check/uncheck the programs and applications you want to start when you turn on your computer.

I know CCleaner also has this feature, probably plenty of other programs as well.

You can Control - Alt - Delete and look in Task Manager to see what processes or applications are running.
Just a suggestion (READ: "Tip of the year!") you can bypass that stupid Windows 7/Vista menu that pops up by pressing Crl+Shift+Esc instead of Ctrl+Alt+Del to go directly to the task manager.

:thumbsup:

In your start menu, type "msconfig", go to the 'startup' tab and there you can check/uncheck the programs and applications you want to start when you turn on your computer.

I know CCleaner also has this feature, probably plenty of other programs as well.

CCleaner ftw!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I've run Memtest, re-installed the GPU drivers, did a chkdsk, disabled the boot-up programs totally, as well as had the WD Diagnostic tool check the HD. No errors are coming up on the drive, and the HD+Mem are passing the tests. Yet, the thing still boots up slowly. I'm at a loss...meanwhile, I'm backing up my files to a few USBs, and I got another problem. I can't move any of my media files, 'cause they're apparently 'write-protected'. Is there anyway to disable that? IF so, could I get a newbies guide to doing it?