Keeping beer fresh longer

Guest_Jim_*

I personally do not drink alcohol, but I suspect some here do and would find this interesting. Scientists have made a discovery regarding what causes beer to take on a bitter taste as it ages. (Apparently this is interesting considering how many other alcoholic beverages improve with ages, such as wine, scotch, whiskey, and bourbon.) This could lead to efforts to improve the shelf life of beer, as though you really need the beer to last longer than 6 to 12 months. I guess it could have an impact sooner, but I don't know.

Anyhow, here are the links to where I read about it and the actual article. The article is from the American Chemical Society and has to be paid for. University libraries would probably already have access to the article though, so for college students, you may be able to get at it for free.

My source: Keeping beer fresh longer

Their source: Formation of α-Dicarbonyl Compounds in Beer during Storage of Pilsner