Leary of overclocking

sparkyjoe34

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of any tutorials for overclocking a Phenom ii x6 1090T on an Asus M4A785-M motherboard? I'm new to this type of stuff and am very leary of doing this without some help. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of any tutorials for overclocking a Phenom ii x6 1090T on an Asus M4A785-M motherboard? I'm new to this type of stuff and am very leary of doing this without some help. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

l

can you list your major system components mobo ram psu and heat sink

l

can you list your major system components mobo ram psu and heat sink

Absolutely!

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x6 1090T

Motherboard: Asus M4A785-M

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

PSU: OCZ ModXstream-Pro 600W

Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper TX3

Absolutely!

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x6 1090T

Motherboard: Asus M4A785-M

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

PSU: OCZ ModXstream-Pro 600W

Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper TX3

well that ddr2 is not going to limit your overclock

and how much of a overclock are you going for

Edited by jdm_freek

Well I'm not trying to go extreme even though I have read of OC'ers getting up to 4GHz. I was thinking of just trying to get up to 3.6-3.8 SAFELY!

His DDR2 will do no such thing. It's an unlocked chip so he can just set the multiplier and go.

Sparky joe read this Black Edition Chip Overclocking, these chips have been out for a long time so a quick google search can get you going. Be sure to post your results in the overclocking side of the forum and we can help you fine tune it a bit.

For now just mess around with the multi a bit and see what you can get with stock voltage. I think 3.8Ghz should be your first goal. Go into the BIOS and bump it up a notch. Don't use AMD overdrive or anything silly like that.

His DDR2 will do no such thing. It's an unlocked chip so he can just set the multiplier and go.

Sparky joe read this Black Edition Chip Overclocking, these chips have been out for a long time so a quick google search can get you going. Be sure to post your results in the overclocking side of the forum and we can help you fine tune it a bit.

For now just mess around with the multi a bit and see what you can get with stock voltage. I think 3.8Ghz should be your first goal. Go into the BIOS and bump it up a notch. Don't use AMD overdrive or anything silly like that.

Thanks gabrieltessin. I've read through the article you mentioned and also have went as far as bumping up the multiplier like you said. I will post my information in the overclocking forum. Also, I didn't see any setting in my Bios for Asus Overdrive and I don't know if there is a setting in there that is basically the same thing or not. Thanks for the help so far!

Actually there is a question I have about a setting I keep seeing. When I boot up as the Asus logo is being displayed it says "Press 4 to activate the core unlocker" I don't really understand that because when I run my HWMonitor or Speccy it shows the temp of all 6 cores. Shouldn't that mean that all 6 cores are being used?