Dust!!!

I have known that there has been dust inside my computer for a while now but I never got round to cleaning it until I took the side pannel off to install a PCI thing, saw all the dust caked on my CPU and shouted "I'll save you computer...right after a quick stress test".

If OCCT is to be believed, my cpu has gone from throttling on 700C to 480C under load and 350C idle, all at stock speeds. Unfortunately my can of compressed air is running low now and probably only has enough for one more cleaning.

Probably shouldn't have been doing distributed computing with all that dust though it might not have been running too well if my CPU throttles back to 800mhz under load.

a lot of people dis-agree with me when I say this but I do/use this all the time. My air compressor.

I have an attachment I can hook on it that just shoots out air. I will take the PC in to the garage (make sure you open the garage door or windows because it will get super dusty) then I open the side of the case up and blast away.

People don't recommend this because the air pressure/force being pushed out could be enough to bend capacitors or possibly break something. I usually hold the nozzle back about 12inches or so and just go to town.

The only time I put the nozzle close up is when I am getting/working on the fans.. IMO this works the best.

Just an idea for ya anyways.

a lot of people dis-agree with me when I say this but I do/use this all the time. My air compressor.

I have an attachment I can hook on it that just shoots out air. I will take the PC in to the garage (make sure you open the garage door or windows because it will get super dusty) then I open the side of the case up and blast away.

People don't recommend this because the air pressure/force being pushed out could be enough to bend capacitors or possibly break something. I usually hold the nozzle back about 12inches or so and just go to town.

The only time I put the nozzle close up is when I am getting/working on the fans.. IMO this works the best.

I do the same, I have yet to damage anything. I set it to about 60psi for the heatsink.

careful use of compressed air will certainly do the job, however, air compressor tanks and lines build up condensation/moisture and oxidation; not a good idea for electronics circuitry...i'm with doc b, i take mine out to the barn and use the echo backpack blower on it...

3rded :thumbsup: