Reliable build for office

nns

I intend to build a new PC for using as the main computer in my office setup and connect all the 8 existing PCs to it. I would store all the data on this PC (which wouldn't mount to more than 20GB at any given time). For this I require a reliable PC but my usage is minimal, i.e., Microsoft Office, web-browsing and Tally ERP Software (site: www.tallysolutions.com). It would not be running 24x7 but around 18 hours a day only.

I am looking for a reliable build and price is no bar. The requirements are no more than an Athlon dual core. However, my friend suggested that I go for an i5 build at the minimum to ensure reliability. Should I look for Intel Xeon et al and if yes is it advisable to build it or buy a pre-built branded one?

What Operating System should I buy? (Server or 7)

Also, how should I go about backing up data. Should go for a mirroring software or RAID or something else?

I haven't approached any professional as yet. (Should I?)

Please suggest.

I have the following components in mind at the moment:

Corsair PSU VX550

i5 processor

Intel mobo

Corsair RAM

WD HDD 500GB x2

Cooling ?

Case ?

Regards,

nns

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wth, i5 for better reliability?! Just get the Athlon II x2 with a decent 790GX or 890GX whichever you can find cheaper.

I'm not sure about the rest though, (OS, HDD setup etc). Get a simple generic case, and just use the stock CPU cooler.

wth, i5 for better reliability?! Just get the Athlon II x2 with a decent 790GX or 890GX whichever you can find cheaper.

I'm not sure about the rest though, (OS, HDD setup etc). Get a simple generic case, and just use the stock CPU cooler.

Looking from the point of view of upgradability, would it be better to opt for a LGA 1155 CPU? Something like the sandybridge i3s?

For this what sort of motherboard should I look at? Are Intel's mobos very stable and solid? Or should I look at ASUS or Gigabyte? I am looking at no features beyond gigabit ethernet... :)

Also, which chipset should I opt for?

I haven't been very keen on buying AMDs with integrated graphics since my current board is a little dodgy with occasional freezing...

Maybe something is just wrong with your motherboard :P

But I'm confused, is this eventually to be a powerhouse or mild mannered server machine?? Upgrade paths shouldn't matter for a server (which AM3 has also anyway)

Maybe something is just wrong with your motherboard :P

But I'm confused, is this eventually to be a powerhouse or mild mannered server machine?? Upgrade paths shouldn't matter for a server (which AM3 has also anyway)

Actually AM3 X6 would be the max upgrade needed even 5-7 years down the line... And if I need more than that then I'd rather have a proper server!

I messed around quite a lot with this build as it was my first own... I can't determine what has gone wrong the Graphics, RAM or CPU or Mobo.. :P I will sit down one fine day to figure it out... (Or so I have been saying for the last 6 months perhaps..)

I'll check out the prices and decide on which to go for AMD or Intel!

My real concern is what motherboard I should go for.. Until now I have just looked at the features and decided.. Never really looked at the reliability part (just trusted brands like ASUS for that).. I am looking at a featureless mobo which ends up quite cheap.. I don't want to end up with a mobo that is cheap and will start giving me problems in the following 5 years.. Any chipset considerations for AMD and Intel (Other than the ones you have told)... I don't mind buying a discrete graphics card if required.. Is Intel more reliable than ASUS and Gigabyte...

If intel what chipset? Q67/P67/H67?

PS: Thanks for all guidance till now, I've looked at desktop hardware after a long time now.. :)

I would just get the cheapest. If your just using it to store/retrieve data then even a P4 would work the same as a 5ghz I7.

I don't need power.. All I need is no crashes or problems!

Are cheap Intel mobos reliable? Good to last 5 years?

Are cheap Intel mobos reliable? Good to last 5 years?

Any name-brand motherboard should last you well in excess of that as long as you keep it free of dust and don't overclock the shiit out of it. :cheers:

Edited by Waco

Intel or AMD wont decide reliability... Good a board from a great manufacture such as Asus and leave it at that. Get a nice 800-series chip AM3 board, with the integrated ATI 4250 graphics. This is a REALLY nice integrated video solution. Drop a basic AM3 Sempron 140(single core 2.7Ghz, its actually better than the old Pentium D dual-cores so it will definitely serve its purpose as basic use), Add however much ram you need with 2 small/cheap HDD's in Raid-1 and you'll be good to go for whatever you need.

If/When you need more power, you can upgrade to the Phenom II x6 CPU. If you do alittle research and spend alil extra money on a board that with a BIO's update will support the future AM3+ CPU's, you could eventually upgrade the board with a 8-core monster should you ever need serious power!

Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147023 - Ive used this case in several builds for basic/office use, its a well built, cheap case. The only con is for office use it has a blue LED fan on the front, but its barely noticeable and the added benefit of increased airflow far outweighs this con. The interior is really quite nice with no sharp edges!

CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698 - Ive also used this in my friends File server. It not fast, but its reliable and doesnt use hardly any power! And you can always upgrade to a Phenom II x6 one day, or Bulldozer if you get the right board. If not a Athlon II x2 dual core is only like $25 more than this single core.

HDD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181 - YOu could use any drive really, but lately WD has REALLY let me down, and ive ordered probably 50-60 Samsung HDD's in the last year, with not a single DoA, and all of them are still running strong. So go with whatever drives you want, but for reliability, put 2 in Raid-1 or 3 in Raid-5.

RAM- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146740 - Corsair memory is nice, bur Mushkin is the best in my eyes IMO. Ive personally used this exact set of memory a dozen times in different computer builds. Its fast, cheap, and reliable. With the heatsinks on the memory it also helps to ensure long life. You didnt say how much memory you needed, so i just went with the basic, 4GB that i recommend for ANY use even basic these days.

PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033 - Antec 80 Bronze cert PSU, its efficient and reliable. Ive been using these for years in low cost builds. Energy efficient and havent had one die yet. Should be all the power you need for this build or any future needs with it, provided you dont add a big power hungry GPU into this one day.

MoBo - Option A) with future BIO's update to let you use AM3+ Bulldozer CPU's in the future, but quite a bit expensive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

- Option B) Cheap, but reliable company http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130295

With the boards id personally go with the more expensive Asus board, it gives you a slightly better 4290 integrated GPU, as well as support for the AM3+ CPU's in the future with just a simple BIO's update!! But the MSI board is REALLY cheap, in a good way cheap. And will more than serve your purpose.

i only reasons i suggest Xeon is because of support of ECC memory and in a file server world (even only 20gb) if it needs to stay on there is no way around not using ECC memory. now if your willing to restart the system every week or so. you can get anything you want, thats just my 2 bits. at 18 hours a day a stable rig will work but after a few days its going to start to be sluggish

Edited by hornybluecow

I was going to suggest Xeon or Operton, but i didnt think money would allow for it. You can get some nice quad-core Opterons for like $100-$110 that support ECC memory in the C32 Socket, and some decent boards with the socket dont cost that much either.

If you wanted to get real fancy the brand new socket 1155 Xeons are REALLY nice sandy-bridge based CPU's with relatively cheap mobo's as well. This combo here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.631887, nice Xeon CPU with Hyper-threading as well as the board that supports ECC memory, i havent had the chance to use these yet, but our next workstation here at work will involve this combo for sure. And between Asus and Intel i cant imagine this not being reliable.

I would build an Athlon II X4 with a Gigabyte 870 based motherboard. All solid capacitors and their heavy duty construction, reliability work horse. Put on some Kingston RAM, get an Antec One Hundred case so you have good cooling potential if you need it. The only thing is you will need an inexpensive discrete video with the 870. Might want to look at one of their better 880s.