Confusion of my CPU temp...

caesar666

I have a couple of software to monitor my processor's temp (Asus PC Probe, Core Temp, Open Hardware Monitor, HWM Blackbox, Everest, SpeedFan and Speccy) but each one of them are displaying a variation of temps (differences are ranging from 3-10C). I'm using Intel Core i7 930 and an Asus Rampage II Extreme ~ it comes with an LCD poster (which I set on BIOS to display my current temps). The problem is, the LCD poster also show different temp when compares to all of the software I mentioned before.

My question is, which one do you think represents the closest real temp of my processor? Or is there any other temp monitor software I should be looking for?

Thanks!

i am also not sure about the temps of a cpu.did a bios update on my MB and got a 5 degrees drop in my cpu temp.the most popular one is core temp.but best i can think of is to use all your software and work out a average.i tend to believe the bios because software cant read the actual thermostat that gives the temp reading.i would argue that the software get their reading from the bios.

Not really. Core temp and hardware monitor Are the ones that I use as they tend to be more reliable and easier to use then other temp monitoring software's. For me, that is all I use.

As far as the difference in temperature it really depends on what thermal monitor it is after. An example would be are we measuring the temperature the CPU is reporting or the sensor on the motherboard that detects the CPU temperature. Or is it the individual core temperature sensors? They will very from monitor to monitor and software to software. and some monitors are able to catch temperature sensors that others are not able to see such as Everest over HW monitor or PC probe. Just an example.

If i were you I would go with core temp as its been the most reliable for me as long I have be overclocking.

i am also not sure about the temps of a cpu.did a bios update on my MB and got a 5 degrees drop in my cpu temp.the most popular one is core temp.but best i can think of is to use all your software and work out a average.i tend to believe the bios because software cant read the actual thermostat that gives the temp reading.i would argue that the software get their reading from the bios.

Yeah, I've actually thought about take an average from all that software, but I guess I'm just to lazy to do it.. ~ anyway, thanks for your advice, I'll definitely gonna try it!

Not really. Core temp and hardware monitor Are the ones that I use as they tend to be more reliable and easier to use then other temp monitoring software's. For me, that is all I use.

As far as the difference in temperature it really depends on what thermal monitor it is after. An example would be are we measuring the temperature the CPU is reporting or the sensor on the motherboard that detects the CPU temperature. Or is it the individual core temperature sensors? They will very from monitor to monitor and software to software. and some monitors are able to catch temperature sensors that others are not able to see such as Everest over HW monitor or PC probe. Just an example.

If i were you I would go with core temp as its been the most reliable for me as long I have be overclocking.

I couldn't agree more with you here. I know that all the software are using different methods or reading different sensors to inform the processor's temp, I'm just trying to find which software gives closest real info of the temp.

I guess I'll be using both Core Temp and the LCD poster (it shows the same exact temp with BIOS), and take the median numbers from them.

Anyway, thanks for advice, really appreciate it!

Caesar,

I'd use the app that gives you the closest temp to the one reported in your BIOS. Adjust offsets in the app if necessary.

I like core temp and real temp personally.

After comparing Core Temp and RealTemp, I decided to use RealTemp as it gives the closest temp with my BIOS.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by caesar666