Russia to Expand Space Program

nVidia_Freak

Found via [H] (thank you MajorDomo) and as this is very important to me, here it is for you.

http://www.huffingto...-_n_846702.html

Russia is planning a massive increase in its space launches and may even build a base on the moon as part of a manned mission to Mars in the next two decades, according to reports.

Other reports cite official documents which claim a manned Russian mission to Mars could be possible in 2030 following the creation of a moon base. "Above all, we are talking about flights to the moon and the creation of a base close to its north pole where there is likely to be a source of water," read one of the documents, according to the Telegraph.

And my views on this, voiced because somebody didn't see the point, including his view:

']Isn't this kind of pointless?

When we went to the moon, weren't we just like... oh yeah, it's a rock, just like we expected...

Far from it.

Though we may not have discovered much *new*, our trips to the Moon certainly did confirm much of what was only speculation based on observations.

Beyond that, it excites those of us that are curious about where we are, what we came from, how the solar system/stars/planets/universe and everything in it forms, what their functions are, what those functions permit/disallow, and the general interrelatedness of it all.

The Space Race wasn't just about politics and getting to the moon, it was about gathering as much information and measurements about our surroundings as we could. It eventually led to some still very famous and noteworthy space telescopes and probes that were launched and are still in use: Voyager I, II, and the Hubble Space Telescope. Read about what they do and why.

In particular, look at what the HST provides us with. If you have at least a very basic understanding of (astro)physics, look at any of those photos and you should be humbled and overwhelmed by intense feelings of happiness and knowing. Knowing that those galaxies are millions, and even billions of lightyears away from us, and that there might be a planet like ours somewhere in one of them, or that there might not be...it's amazing, and that's an understatement. What is felt, words are unsuitable to even begin to describe.

Look at everything that we've done, and what spawned from the Space Race. If that hadn't happened, it might have turned out that none of those probes, satellites, and telescopes would be there. But the fact is that it was started by people that weren't necessarily interested with space in itself, and though those that were benefited from it, many of those achievements, particularly the later ones, were made from the momentum that was left from what had been. Just look at how things have tapered down.

What those of that are immensely interested in space can do is severely limited compared to what we could. The next major launch for a space exploration/observation vessel is the James Webb Space Telescope whose purpose it is to replace the Hubble Space Telescope, and although it will be vastly superior, it's not due to be launched until some unknown time after 2015 (was set for 2014 at one point, whether that's a funding or technical issue I'm not aware of).

But look back at what the Hubble has given, gives, and will continue to give us. It's far from being unspectacular. And yet here we are getting ready to do something even better. Imagine the knowledge that can be gained. That's why, no matter who does it, we need space programs. If we can spark another Space Race, great, and if we can make it a sustainable Race, all the better.

---

So there you have it. Thoughts?

NASA is the biggest waste of money. We can't afford another money hole (a space race). Check it

Cost of fuel alone is $450 million per mission. That just fuel for the rocket nothing else.

Edited by Black6464

I'm glad that at least Russia isn't abandoning space.

NASA is the biggest waste of money. We can't afford another money hole (a space race). Check it

Cost of fuel alone is $450 million per mission. That just fuel for the rocket nothing else.

Do you realize how much of our technology is based on stuff that NASA came up with for the space race? Let's just say we wouldn't be anywhere near as technologically advanced as a society if it wasn't for NASA.

We have to continue to explore space, because as Kennedy said, not because it's easy, but because it's hard. If we aren't constantly striving to advance, we will stagnate as a culture and that will be the day that America dies.

And I can think of a very good place to get that money from, a place that's costing us around $10 billion a month without much of a benefit. That is truly a waste of money.

Edited by TheHippi

This is excellent news!! Russia has my full support, I can't wait until the new telescope goes up and I'm even more excited about the space station!!

This thread makes me happy :)

I think all the wars are FAR a bigger waste of money. This country could be so much more with the money we wouldn't be . away over there

Be that as it may, then that's only about current-USD $40 billion (without adjusting for inflation) that the USA has spent alone just to get the probes and satellites into space, with something like the Webb Space Telescope only taking an eighth of that to produce. I get the feeling you're just trying to start unnecessary ruckus. (Re)read what I posted and please give it some serious thought before you go around telling people how wasteful space programs are.

I'm glad that at least Russia isn't abandoning space.

Do you realize how much of our technology is based on stuff that NASA came up with for the space race? Let's just say we wouldn't be anywhere near as technologically advanced as a society if it wasn't for NASA.

We have to continue to explore space, because as Kennedy said, not because it's easy, but because it's hard. If we aren't constantly striving to advance, we will stagnate as a culture and that will be the day that America dies.

And I can think of a very good place to get that money from, a place that's costing us around $10 billion a month without much of a benefit. That is truly a waste of money.

And thus I agree with you. But, let's not make this into a heated political debate, please.

Source? I very much doubt your figures. I know petrols expensive, but not that expensive! :lol: Are you sure this isn't for the complete solid rocket boosters and not just the fuel?

I'm all for space exploration and it's a shame that the USA has cut back. I know it's not our money (UK) but all the same it's sad. The plus side to this announcement is I'm sure the USA finding a few more dollars because the last thing they'll want is the only base on the moon being Russian even if they offer to make it a joint venture. (Political I know but it's why the "space race" started).

I think we need to get out into space as soon as possible because we, the human race, are making a mess of the Earth as it is and we could very well use the extra resources and possibly somewhere else to live before we're through?

Source? I very much doubt your figures. I know petrols expensive, but not that expensive! :lol: Are you sure this isn't for the complete solid rocket boosters and not just the fuel?

I'm all for space exploration and it's a shame that the USA has cut back. I know it's not our money (UK) but all the same it's sad. The plus side to this announcement is I'm sure the USA finding a few more dollars because the last thing they'll want is the only base on the moon being Russian even if they offer to make it a joint venture.

I think we need to get out into space as soon as possible because we, the human race, are making a mess of the Earth as it is and we could very well use the extra resources and possibly somewhere else to live before we're through.

It is solid rocket fuel, not petrol or jet fuel. Plus NASA does everything in a more expensive way. There are now other companies that launch rockets into space for a fraction of the cost NASA does.

It is solid rocket fuel, not petrol or jet fuel. Plus NASA does everything in a more expensive way. There are now other companies that launch rockets into space for a fraction of the cost NASA does.

Give me a little credit, I know it's not petrol!

NASA has to do everything in a more expensive way. Firstly you are in the USA and not Russia, costs more, and secondly people lives usually depend on them getting it right.

I'm sure you'll find one or two countries that launch rockets into space cheaper, France, China, India and Japan for example, but ask them to put men safely into space and see how much it costs on a pro rata basis.

Give me a little credit, I know it's not petrol!

NASA has to do everything in a more expensive way. Firstly you are in the USA and not Russia, costs more, and secondly people lives usually depend on them getting it right.

I'm sure you'll find one or two countries that launch rockets into space cheaper, France, China, India and Japan for example, but ask them to put men safely into space and see how much it costs on a pro rata basis.

Why do we need to put people into space anyway? to read data? Thats why we have computers to send it back to earth. Unless there going to colonize mars then just send up satellites. Also what about SpaceX? They are based in CA (not France, China, India and Japan) and they do everything NASA does just way cheaper. They don't send people just satellites for far less money. NASA=money pit.

Black, you've already established that you think NASA uses too much money, so, you don't need to keep repeating yourself.

Putting people into space isn't strictly necessary for survival, but, so are all the things around us. Putting people not just into space, but onto other terrestrial worlds on a semi-permanent basis, is a step we have to take to continue space exploration. It shows commitment. If enough people respond positively, we can continue to do it.

Do you not care for space exploration?

Why do we need to put people into space anyway? to read data? Thats why we have computers to send it back to earth. Unless there going to colonize mars then just send up satellites. Also what about SpaceX? They are based in CA (not France, China, India and Japan) and they do everything NASA does just way cheaper. They don't send people just satellites for far less money. NASA=money pit.

Space exploration is very important there's a whole universe to explore and so many things that we could learn

Think of it this way saying space isn't important is just like there's no point in leaving your house because there's nothing interesting out there when in fact there is a whole world to explore

This is great. Where do i buy my ticket to moon base! :teehee:

But seriously. If we stop pushing the boundaries of knowledge and exploration civilization will stagnate. We are already to advanced for earth survival alone, we should be using all this tech and knowledge to learn more, find more.

</end incoherent ramblings>