Upgrading laptop decision

Liclac

Since the laptop is relatively new, and money is a slight issue, I would just go with a ram upgrade for now. You would be surprised how big of a difference there is with more ram when it comes to dealing with design.

I don't think his laptop has usb 3.0, which is why I mentioned esata instead. I have 2 usb 3.0 hdd's and its just as fast as an internal drive. Its an NP8170-S1, and yeah I love it. The specs are in the sig.

Thanks sYstEmATiC! I think I will go for RAM upgrade... yeah, I do draw a lot and sometimes when I am working on a very big resolution project, my RAM usage is very high, moreover I have to open many programs at the same time.....

oh yeah... stupid very slow usb 3.0 adaption for no reason, yeah the hdd is still the bottleneck, wasn't the 485m a tad bit expensive... i mean couldn't you crossfire two 6970m's and save a few? so do you do video editing and stuff cause 12gb is a lot for a laptop!

so who made ur laptop mr.thread starter? brand? did you say asus? and by ur name i meant the threads name :P

ya ur lappy don't got no usb 3.0 so esata it is!

Even 8GB is more than enough just for casual gaming... That's what I feel... lol ^^

Yes..mine is Asus G73JH-A1.. Actually, Asus allows their customers to choose the specific hardware for their laptop, but in my place, there is no option like that... Customers have to stick with the specification given from the distributor.. At first, I want a 840QM as the processor, but I only get 720QM series...I was a little disappointed..but after reading this thread answers about the 820QM vs 720QM is not worth enough compared to the price, I am glad I didn't find the 840qm series, or I would have lost more money on that 840QM.. $360.. I can use half of that money to upgrade my RAM to 16GB....hahaha.. lol

There is no USB 3.0 for the G73JH series...but the G73JW series has USB 3.0... and after I checked out my laptop, I have no eSATA port.. so I think I just stick with the USB 2.0 Ext hdd...lol..

Thanks sYstEmATiC! I think I will go for RAM upgrade... yeah, I do draw a lot and sometimes when I am working on a very big resolution project, my RAM usage is very high, moreover I have to open many programs at the same time.....

Even 8GB is more than enough just for casual gaming... That's what I feel... lol ^^

Yes..mine is Asus G73JH-A1.. Actually, Asus allows their customers to choose the specific hardware for their laptop, but in my place, there is no option like that... Customers have to stick with the specification given from the distributor.. At first, I want a 840QM as the processor, but I only get 720QM series...I was a little disappointed..but after reading this thread answers about the 820QM vs 720QM is not worth enough compared to the price, I am glad I didn't find the 840qm series, or I would have lost more money on that 840QM.. $360.. I can use half of that money to upgrade my RAM to 16GB....hahaha.. lol

There is no USB 3.0 for the G73JH series...but the G73JW series has USB 3.0... and after I checked out my laptop, I have no eSATA port.. so I think I just stick with the USB 2.0 Ext hdd...lol..

Yeah I'm running a Sager NP2096 and really like it.

As far as storage goes, i'd get a nice 2TB desktop drive and drop it in a usb 2.0 enclosure (maybe with esata and/or usb 3.0 for future usage). Usually it's cheaper to make an external drive yourself than the preassembled, then upgrading the drive is generally cheaper too.

Yeah I'm running a Sager NP2096 and really like it.

As far as storage goes, i'd get a nice 2TB desktop drive and drop it in a usb 2.0 enclosure (maybe with esata and/or usb 3.0 for future usage). Usually it's cheaper to make an external drive yourself than the preassembled, then upgrading the drive is generally cheaper too.

haha... no problem, I will get the preassembled one... It's easier to get.... Sadly, I have no esata port and USB 3.0... :( I'll just stick with USB 2.0... Thanks!

oh yeah... stupid very slow usb 3.0 adaption for no reason, yeah the hdd is still the bottleneck, wasn't the 485m a tad bit expensive... i mean couldn't you crossfire two 6970m's and save a few? so do you do video editing and stuff cause 12gb is a lot for a laptop!

so who made ur laptop mr.thread starter? brand? did you say asus? and by ur name i meant the threads name :P

ya ur lappy don't got no usb 3.0 so esata it is

It wasnt cheap, but it was still a lot cheaper than going with an SLI/Crossfire setup. Personally, I would have SLI'ed 2 GTX485m's before xfiring 6970m's. The gtx485m's are a tad faster than the 6970m's.

Yes every now and then I do some editing. I doubt I really needed 12gb, but the price difference from 8gb, to 12gb was minimal. For another 40 bucks, I could have got 16gb but that would have been pointless imo.

ouch on the usb 2.0. Yeah 8gb is more than plenty for gaming, but I do editing sometimes myself, and have found myself using close to 8gb's already at times.

haha... no problem, I will get the preassembled one... It's easier to get.... Sadly, I have no esata port and USB 3.0... :( I'll just stick with USB 2.0... Thanks!

I think he meant, get an external enclosure that has 3.0/esata support. That way, down the road, you will already have the support for it when you do decide to upgrade to a newer platform. The newer enclosures arent that much more expensive.

Edited by sYstEmATiC

doesn't ur lappy have to sata ports inside? cause then u could use a longer esata to connect it to for back ups? but where would the drive get the power?

you can't beat a desktop monitor, laptop ones aren't as good on the cheaper ones and most gaming ones :(

Edited by Dan The Gamer

It wasnt cheap, but it was still a lot cheaper than going with an SLI/Crossfire setup. Personally, I would have SLI'ed 2 GTX485m's before xfiring 6970m's. The gtx485m's are a tad faster than the 6970m's.

Yes every now and then I do some editing. I doubt I really needed 12gb, but the price difference from 8gb, to 12gb was minimal. For another 40 bucks, I could have got 16gb but that would have been pointless imo.

ouch on the usb 2.0. Yeah 8gb is more than plenty for gaming, but I do editing sometimes myself, and have found myself using close to 8gb's already at times.

I think he meant, get an external enclosure that has 3.0/esata support. That way, down the road, you will already have the support for it when you do decide to upgrade to a newer platform. The newer enclosures arent that much more expensive.

The same as me, I almost reach 8GB all the time when editing.. lol..

oh I see...hmm.. you right, maybe when I build a new desktop later for my job, I can use the esata and USB 3.0 from my external haddrive to my desktop! I have never thought about that! thanks!!! :D

doesn't ur lappy have to sata ports inside? cause then u could use a longer esata to connect it to for back ups? but where would the drive get the power?

you can't beat a desktop monitor, laptop ones aren't as good on the cheaper ones and most gaming ones :(

I have SATA ports inside for my internal harddrive... but how can I take it out from the laptop?

yeah, desktop monitor is the best... sometimes I get dizzy when playing games, because of the response time is very slow here... but I like the color... compared to Apple Monitor, my laptop monitor's color quality is almost the same as Macbook and other apple monitor. Color is very important for me since I draw and coloring artwork so much... :)

The same as me, I almost reach 8GB all the time when editing.. lol..

oh I see...hmm.. you right, maybe when I build a new desktop later for my job, I can use the esata and USB 3.0 from my external haddrive to my desktop! I have never thought about that! thanks!!! :D

I have SATA ports inside for my internal harddrive... but how can I take it out from the laptop?

yeah, desktop monitor is the best... sometimes I get dizzy when playing games, because of the response time is very slow here... but I like the color... compared to Apple Monitor, my laptop monitor's color quality is almost the same as Macbook and other apple monitor. Color is very important for me since I draw and coloring artwork so much... :)

the only way is to take off the cover and connect it with a long cable, it won't be pretty( don't move it or connection might fail ) bu it'll work!

the only way is to take off the cover and connect it with a long cable, it won't be pretty( don't move it or connection might fail ) bu it'll work!

ow, I won;t do that... I am afraid of something happen if I do that.. lol.. :)