SATA 3 UPGRADE

Busterbvi

I can get them cheap, 300 bucks for 2, brand new, Would love to go with SSD'S but can't afford it right now. next year maybe when the technology improves !! Thanks for the link Rocketsteer, any constructive help here Ivythos ??

Busterbvi.

but even $150 is a rip off for a mechanical drive, seriously just get a nice 2-3TB storage drive and call it a day :thumbsup:

Well you see the only thing that is going to take advantage of SATA 3 connectivity are SSDs. So if your SSD is SATA 3 then I would probably get the card and use it for the SSD. But as for your velociraptors, even though they say "SATA 3 6gb/s" they are still mechanical hard drives with spinning platters inside and a arm has to move around and read the data. So even if the drive is advertised as SATA 3 connectivity you arent going to see speeds outside SATA 2 or sometimes even SATA 1 just because the mechanical parts are the bottleneck. So you would see the same performance plugging your HDD into the onboard SATA 2 ports as you would plugging them into a SATA 3 card.

So in my opinion if you really want the card and your SSD can saturate a SATA 3 connection than you can but I personally would just leave the Harddrives in the SATA 2 sockets and save the 30 bucks. And if you are willing to spend the $60-70 for two cards you might as well just start looking at updating motherboards.

Here are some links to show some similar situations

My link

My link

My link

Thanks again TS631, I note what you say, I will plug the Velociraptors into the SATA 2 ports and see how it goes. Now, my boot drive is a 64 gb Corsair SSD, what do you think about me using tha Asus card just for that drive which is full on SATA 3 ?

Busterbvi.

but even $150 is a rip off for a mechanical drive, seriously just get a nice 2-3TB storage drive and call it a day :thumbsup:

Velociraptors are good for what they are but I tend to agree, $150 is pretty steep for any mechanical HDD.

I say stick with the SATA 2 controller - you'd essentially be throwing money away with a cheap SATA 3 controller.